Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Create New Link to Location URL - Open URL In Chrome, Not Default Firefox?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Create New Link to Location URL - Open URL In Chrome, Not Default Firefox?

Hi,

Setting up Kubuntu 20.04 LTS 64Bit on a 13 year old Apple MacBook laptop.
    It's been rather smooth, with some minor issues.

I need to create a new link to location(URL) on the desktop which would open in Chrome.
    (not Firefox which is set to the default Internet browser)

Let me know, thanks!

Jesse

EDIT#1: Firefox is default which I want to keep same - just need one icon to open URL in Chrome
    Last edited by JeZ-l-Lee; Jun 18, 2020, 05:00 PM.

Multiple ways
    One way, is to drag a bookmark for the url from your browser to the desktop. That creates a widget that opens the location in the correct browser. It works with both FF and Chrome for me.
    This is not a desktop shortcut file, mind you but a plasma widget.

You can also drag Chrome to your desktop ( or use the right-click menu) and select 'link here'. Edit that new desktop link, and edit the 'command' by replacing the '%u' for the desired url

Comment

"You can also drag Chrome to your desktop ( or use the right-click menu) and select 'link here'. Edit that new desktop link, and edit the 'command' by replacing the '%u' for the desired url"

The above works, but I need to rename the link icon text and change the icon.
      (says I don't have permission to do both above?)

Please advise, thanks!

Jesse

Comment

Looks like I got it bass-akwards. The link method points to the system level desktop file, which has of course root permissions
        Use the 'copy here' method instead.

Note that this one puts the actual file in your ~/Desktop folder, and it will have an exclamation point on it initially. Once you click it, it will prompt if you want to run the program or not, and after that it will disappear.

Comment

That worked, thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X