X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] permanent settings for indicator-cpufreq

Hello,
    Up to 18.04 (including), I was using Jupiter to keep the laptop cold. With 20.04 some libraries Jupiter is depending on (at least python-gtk2) were killed. The only option to keep laptop cold is now the indicator-cpufreq. I avoided it in the past because amnesic. Now, like it or not, I have to use it. But to really like it, I have to get rid of its amnesia. Thus, two options:

1) To change its amnesic behavior, to remember the last settings before reboot.
    2) To change it's default setting from Performance or Power on Demand, to Power Saving. In this case, I won't care about the amnesia issue anymore, as it will always start on Power Saving, which is what I want.

With this, I'll be happy with 20.04 (upgraded to the latest Plasma, as there are some issues there too, but improvements are fast).
    Thanks,
    Last edited by aria; Jun 14, 2020, 10:48 AM.
    aria

Don't know if it's useful, but I also had an app that wouldn't work without python-gtk2.
    I solved it by:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nrbrtx/python2-stuff
    sudo apt install python-gtk2

Comment

Thanks, it works, and as you mentioned this might be useful for other apps and widgets too.

But I'm still curious if there is a possibility to customize the settings of indicator-cpufreq. This is also because Plasma on 20.04 brought a beautiful GUI for changing screens (Fn+F?), replacing one of the two functions of Jupiter.
      Any suggestions?
      aria

Comment

fwiw, the gnome/unity applet you are trying to use is from 2013, iirc, so it may be a bit crusty. I don't think it was intended to change the default governor permanently.

Also fwiw, there is a plasma widget that is current, and in active development, for Plasma 5
        Despite needing the terminal to install, it is extremely simple to get and install.

https://github.com/jsalatas/plasma-pstate

However, it won't save settings between boots, just like the Gnome applet doesn't.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You might be better to find out what settings you are using in cpufreq, and set them permanently via the appropriate config files

Something like this

sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils >> you may already have this installed
        echo 'GOVERNOR="powersave"' | sudo tee /etc/default/cpufrequtils >> sets the default governor
        sudo systemctl disable ondemand >> disables the service that keeps things from being set permanently, I think. This *might* actually be what you need to be able to keep the changes via the applet. All that does essentially what the second line above does, so maybe once the ondemand is disabled, it may 'stick'

Comment

That python-old-stuff repository is quite the gold mine.

Still, curiosity:
          I remember having to use that widget some time ago when I bricked neon Unstable and I noticed all my cores were running at max freq.
          I noticed because I have a CPU section in my conky like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0615_063802.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	644797

And all four frequencies were always at 2.something.
          I also remember that I had to set it to "powersave" at every boot.

I then reinstalled, and the problem went away.
          Thing is, that was the only distro I ever had that needed the CPU to be told to scale. All the others do it by default.
          What processor do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            You might be better to find out what settings you are using in cpufreq, and set them permanently via the appropriate config files

Something like this

sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils >> you may already have this installed
            echo 'GOVERNOR="powersave"' | sudo tee /etc/default/cpufrequtils >> sets the default governor
            sudo systemctl disable ondemand >> disables the service that keeps things from being set permanently, I think. This *might* actually be what you need to be able to keep the changes via the applet. All that does essentially what the second line above does, so maybe once the ondemand is disabled, it may 'stick'
            Thanks claydoh, it worked beautiful: does remember now the last session setting, no more amnesia after reboot.
            Superb, thanks again.
            aria

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
              That python-old-stuff repository is quite the gold mine.
              Perfectly right Don! But sometimes need to move on. Here is the Thermal Monitor widget I used up to 18.04. Being on the taskbar is always visible (except for full-screen). In Kubuntu 20.04 I have to reload temperature sources after each reboot (they are set, but do not reload automatically).
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200617_195451a.png
Views:	1
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	644798
              On Neon, still 18.04, but with the latest Plasma, this widget installs, but its setting window brakes Plasma. Replaced it with Simple Monitor widget which is a desktop only widget, and have the temperature, but need to switch desktops in pager to see it (although is covered by the active window).
              You asked for my computers: 1 laptop i3, 1 notebook celeron, 1 notebook (music box is all it still can do) AMD c-50. You'll laugh, but I transcode videos on the celeron (which is my machine), as the i3 (my wife's) tends to boil even in power save mode.
              Bests,
              aria

Comment

Working...
              X