This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cursor Theme Change?

With 18.04, I had installed the redglass cursor theme. It does not come up when I do a search for it in 20.04, but I have the files for it on a thumb drive: index.theme and then a subfolder "Cursors" with multiple files. But when I try to change the theme from System Settings, none of those files show up when I use the "Install from file" option. Is there a work-around to install 18.04 themes in 20.04? Thanks.

Copy the directory to ~/.icons - go figure. Note that the subfolder is called "cursors", all lower-case, on the cursor themes I have.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks, John. I did the copy, but it is still the case that when I go to install the theme (through System Settings) and I browse to that folder, no candidate file seems to exist. Do I need a reboot for the system to recognize the newly copied files?

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
        Do I need a reboot for the system to recognize the newly copied files?
        No, I don't know what's wrong. (The install file it's looking for is something like a .tgz or .tar.gz, a compressed tar ball.) The theme should appear as a choice in system settings, cursors after copying the files; I cloned a cursor theme by just copying the directory. Restarting system settings should be all that's necessary. The directory with the name of the theme should have two entries, the cursors directory and index.theme.

I suggest if still no success, downloading another theme from the store, installing it, cloning it, then copy your files into the clone's place. X cursor themes are a weird, horrible, combination of formats and links and what look like GUIDs.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Red glass should be in xcursor-themes from the standard repos.

In 20.04, apt show xcursor-themes has this:

Description: Base X cursor themes
          This package contains the additional base X cursor themes -- handhelds, redglass, and whiteglass. These themes are not essential for the X server to run.
          Last edited by chimak111; May 17, 2020, 08:24 PM.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
          X