X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] start application on specific virtual desktop kubuntu

Hello all,

I'm new here and to Kubuntu so please direct me elsewhere if this is not the right forum; also: English is not my first language.

Running Kubuntu 20.04; fresh install, up to date:
    Linux willem-kubuntu-001 5.4.0-29-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 29 14:32:27 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.4
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
    Qt Version: 5.12.8
    Kernel Version: 5.4.0-29-generic
    OS Type: 64-bit
    Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz
    Memory: 3,7 GiB

I have setup 3 virtual desktops: "Internet", "Work", "Multimedia". Kubuntu saves the session state when I turn the laptop off. I want Elisa to always be running on "Multimedia".

Every now and then (but not always), after restarting the laptop, Elisa will be on "Internet" (the first [default] desktop, I believe).
    Sending Elisa to "Multimedia" works without problem.

Is there an extra flag to set to force an application to be tied to one specific desktop?

Thank you.

Yes.

Window rules can do exactly that. Set them up in System settings, Window Management.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Solved Forcing an application to start on a specific desktop

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      Yes.

Window rules can do exactly that. Set them up in System settings, Window Management.
      Thank you, @jlittle, this set me on the right track. I went over to the Window Manager but could not at first find the right option to set. But you gave me a way to better specify my google-search, which came up with:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...sktop-activity

So I started Elisa, clicked the top left menu-button on the window, and then chose "special application setting" --> "Desktop" --> "force" (not sure if these are the right english terms; my translations from Dutch).
      After clicking "OK" Elisa immediately was placed on the right desktop.

Thanks for helping me out.

Comment

Working...
      X