X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't set personalised keyboard shortcuts

Hi,

FYI someone raised this topic in the pre-release testing forum for 20.04, I'm running a clean install of 20.04.

When I create keyboard shortcuts none work, though they show in system settings, I've also checked .config/kglobalshortcutsrc and can see the shortcut definitions in this file.

Pre-configured shortcuts work fine e.g. Meta-E to launch Dolphin.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

That's weird indeed! I just opened Global Shortcuts and set Meta+K to open Dolphin and it just worked as expected. O_O I don't think it's the default Kubuntu install the one to blame here. Perhaps something got misconfigured later on. Just saying.
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Hmmm. It will be frustrating if that's what it is, everything was working in 19.10.

I have a well documented set-up that doesn't involve what I would consider non-standard configuration changes. I think some more digging is required and a visit to KDE bugs to see if anyone else is experiencing similar.

Comment

I've just hit a similar problem. In 19.10 I had Alt-z to run a suspend item, and it refuses to work on my fresh install of 20.04, nor has any other key combination I've tried.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Setting shortcuts in the KDE Menu Editor don't seem to work at all, which was my usual method. However I've had some success in System Settings, for example I can set working shortcuts for Muon and KeePassXC but not for KMyMoney or Vivaldi.

The problem isn't unique to us, I found an existing bug report:
          https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417495

and related:
          https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=419297
          https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=421329

Comment

Did you try the workaround mentionied in the first of the bug reports?
            "Workaround: Create an entry in Custom Shortcuts System Settings and assign the Application to it."

I don't use shortcuts at all, just reading this post…
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              Did you try the workaround mentionied in the first of the bug reports?
              "Workaround: Create an entry in Custom Shortcuts System Settings and assign the Application to it."
              Actually no I didn't, I tried about everything else!

Now I've tried it and yes THAT WORKS. Thank you for reminding me to give that a try.

Comment

I'm not sure if this always works, but I stumbled on a report somewhere: system settings, global shortcuts, use the minus button in the "application launchers" window to remove every shortcut that's not standard, log out, and on log in, shortcuts can be set up in kmenuedit again.

It worked for me. I don't have many, but there's a few I use a lot.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                X