Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I can just disable all the updates and checking and have a calendar reminder or something (which I don't manage via KDE), but I appreciate the way the update notifier pops up in the tray to spur me to update, takes me right to Discover, etc. I just don't want it happening multiple times a day. I can live without this configurability and deal with whatever the system is currently capable of, i.e. this is not big deal. I just notice that it has this nice feature advertised to check for updates every week and notify me, but it doesn't seem to work. Seems like it should either work, or not be there pretending like it's going to work. Seems like the updates come fast and furious for a while, but as a release ages, you get to that stage where every day there is another cups upgrade or whatever. For me, once a week is about right, and it's nice to be reminded by the built-in facility.

(I also use this system for audio recording sometimes; I haven't tested this via-à-vis the update stuff, but in general, the less processes spawning in the background the better when it comes to not interrupting real-time data stream input, so a once-weekly check is more appealing.)

Comment

Well, you could put something in your crontab like:
      Code:
      [COLOR=#996600]0 11 * * 2[/COLOR] konsole --hold -p TerminalColumns=160 -p TerminalRows=40 -e /bin/bash -c "apt list --upgradable"
      Which would list available packages every Tuesday at 11 AM...
      A bit more invasive than the little icon in the panel, but... once a week...
      Last edited by Don B. Cilly; May 07, 2020, 11:30 AM. Reason: Added colour to differentiate cron from command

Comment

You know what... I just realised.
        Even if you have every possible update notification disabled, if you click on the "Show hidden icons" trianglet in the panel, it shows:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0516_230545.png
Views:	1
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	644743

which would also show red in case of "security critical" ones.

[EDIT] Of course, if you actually click on it... it does bring up Discover, and you're up the proverbial...

[EDIT2] See, after updating (with my micro-muon of course ;·) ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0517_101948.png
Views:	1
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	644746
        Last edited by Don B. Cilly; May 17, 2020, 02:25 AM.

Comment

I don't give a rip about how often the notifier goes off. When it does show updates available, I just do them with apt when I'm darn good and ready. If there are other updates (i.e., FF) that happen without my my input - again, I don't give rip. ALL updates are security updates, and some updates may also include functional changes.

I'm good with that, I don't see where there is a problem.

There's no crying in Linux
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
          X