This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Discover Crashes

Discover may crash during PC startup if the network is not ready.
    The user has no control over when Discover runs.
    I suggest that Discover should have a menu selection that allows the user
    to specify a time for Discover to run.
    The PC needs some time to start up firewalls and VPN, but Discover does not allow for this.
    Thus running Discover during startup is a bad thing.
    Please add a menu feature to Discover and stop the forced running of Discover at PC startup.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_Discover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	649632
    Last edited by gh4wi; May 09, 2020, 06:55 AM. Reason: add screen shot error message.

I have posted a report of this problem with Kubuntu Bugs.
    For now, I have removed Discover from 3 Kubuntu 20.04 PCs.
    I have created apt scripts to replace Discover.

Comment

Ensuring that Discover start up only after a network connection is established might be a good thing, but what you've shown us in the first image isn't a crash of Discover; it's just a notification. My guess is that if you simply close Discover at that point and wait for your network connection to be established, that relaunching Discover would be without incident.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by gh4wi View Post
        ... running Discover during startup is a bad thing.
        IMHO, running Discover is a bad thing. Period.

I have created apt scripts to replace Discover.
        So have I
        For one thing, I have alias upd='sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade' in my .bashrc.
        For another, I made a simple update script with choices.

Comment

It is likely a recent bug,that somehow no one seem to have reported (or I cannot find) where Discover is 'stuck' in Plasma's saved session, so it starts at login every time.
          Not sure if it was fixed, but I had blacklisted it as mentioned below, and never removed it to check for changes after the last couple of updates (I run Neon, so I will have a more up to date Plasma etc than kubuntu)

Quoting some random bloke over on KDE's forums with hints that may help
          The default setting for Plasma desktop sessions is to load applications that were running when the user logged off. Sometimes, it is possible that an application gets "stuck" and opens at login even if it was not opened.

You should be able to fix this be temporarily disabling saved sessions in System Settings, then re-enabling it after the left login.
          Another thing to do if it still persists, after first reporting it as a bug is to add plasma-discover to the list of programs to exclude from saved sessions.

Comment

Working...
          X