Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what does "Failed to update metadata for lvfs..." mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] what does "Failed to update metadata for lvfs..." mean?

whenever i start the package manager in focal, i am presented with this error message:

Failed to update metadata for lvfs: checksum failure: failed to verify data, expected 845a132d9c56cf3e132442714ab962e6cb3ccb7b

my impression is that this could be a serious issue.

what does it mean? how do i fix it?
    Attached Files
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Discover has the capability to update hardware firmware files for a small-ish number of devices, via the Linux Vendor Firmware Service. The last time I noticed an update from this service was for my wireless mouse dongle, some time ago.
    It looks like the informational data (not actual firmware) is failing a checksum for you. This seems somewhat common, and not specific to any distro or desktop.
    Fortunately, it is fairly safe to ignore, as nothing is actually happening in terms of OS updates, and nothing is wrong on your system (other than the downloaded file having this error). In Discovers settings, you can turn off firmware/lvfs updates if you wish.
    If you want, you could try manually updating the firmware information manually: fwupdmgr refresh.
    Or wait a while and see if the problem is eventually fixed on the Linux Vendor Firmware Service's servers.

If that still gives an error, you can try: fwupdmgr refresh --force

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      If you want, you could try manually updating the firmware information manually: fwupdmgr refresh.
      i wasn't immediately concerned, because i know that lvfs is a fairly low volume subscription, but fwupdmgr refresh fixed it.

than que!
      ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
      http://www.hybridelephant.com/
      ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Comment

I still get that error message, also, and just ignore it
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Or wait a while and see if the problem is eventually fixed on the Linux Vendor Firmware Service's servers.

If that still gives an error, you can try: fwupdmgr refresh --force
          Thanks Claydoh. I had this problem too, now I don't.

Comment

Working...
          X