This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems during update

installed linux-image-5.13.0-39-generic package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    linux-image-5.13.0-39-generic
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1

Probably a broken package. Here are some ideas to fix https://itsfoss.com/dpkg-returned-an-error-code-1/

Comment

Thank you, seems to work for me, now I just have to wait and see. I learned early to use: "sudo apt-get update" after upgrade/ updates or installations of software and "sudo apt install" afterwards to make sure everything was installed. I also sometimes use "sudo apt autoremove", do you think the problem maybe started with this, or?

Comment

Using "apt-get" could be part of the problem. I stopped using that long ago, and instead I use
        Code:
        sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
        and have not had any issues. "apt" is a better "apt-get", in my experience. And the use of "full-upgrade" is a better choice than "upgrade" by itself. Look at "man apt" for a much better explanation!
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Ok thanks, I was more thinking about: "sudo apt autoremove", if that sometimes could be reason for problems and if there is some other comands that would be better to remove "leftovers?

Comment

Using sudo apt autoremove shouldn't normally create any issues, but:

autoremove (apt-get(8))

autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed as dependencies changed or the package(s) needing them were removed in the meantime.

You should check that the list does not include applications you have grown to like even though they were once installed just as a dependency of another package. You can mark such a package as manually installed by using apt-mark(8). Packages which you have installed explicitly via install are also never proposed for automatic removal.
            Just review the list of packages it reports would be removed. If unsure of any package(s) removal, just answer N.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, thanks for now! :-) I will keep om studying "Linux for dummies"... ;-)

Comment

You can also try this command from a terminal it sometimes will clear the problem.
                sudo dpkg --configure -a
                Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

After update today I got this message, what is that all about? Anyone?
                  initramfs-tools

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1

Comment

So, i followed advice and did this, but same result more or less:
                    sudo dpkg --configure -a
                    Setter opp initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6.7) ...
                    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
                    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu6.7) ...
                    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.13.0-39-generic
                    I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/dm-2
                    I: (/dev/mapper/vgkubuntu-swap_1)
                    I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.
                    Error 24 : Write error : cannot write compressed block
                    E: mkinitramfs failure cpio 141 lz4 -9 -l 24
                    update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.13.0-39-generic with 1.
                    dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
                    installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error ex
                    it status 1
                    Det oppsto feil ved behandling av:
                    initramfs-tools

Comment

Originally posted by sherab dorje View Post
                      Code:
                      Error 24 : Write error : cannot write compressed block
                      You have most likely run out of drive space somewhere.

You can look by using this: $ df -h

You can free up some space by running sudo apt autoremove which might give you enough space to allow the package to install, though you probably need to look at how much space you have available overall and deal with that, as this will probably happen again.
                      If you have set up a separate /boot partition, you may need to look at increasing its size, unless you have a huge number of kernels installed, which running the autoremove *should* clean up.

Comment

So, I tried that, but I think I am ok with space and I do use "sudo apt autoremove" after updates:
                        df -h
                        File system Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
                        udev 3,9G 0 3,9G 0% /dev
                        tmpfs 790M 3,0M 787M 1% /run
                        /dev/mapper/vgkubuntu-root 115G 37G 73G 34% /
                        tmpfs 3,9G 0 3,9G 0% /dev/shm
                        tmpfs 5,0M 4,0K 5,0M 1% /run/lock
                        tmpfs 3,9G 0 3,9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
                        /dev/sda5 704M 675M 0 100% /boot
                        /dev/sda1 511M 4,0K 511M 1% /boot/efi
                        tmpfs 790M 16K 790M 1% /run/user/1000

Comment