Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reinstall Kubuntu on the same Kubuntu

Hello,
    If I reinstall Kubuntu on the same Kubuntu which I have been using for years, will I have a new operating system with all my past files and past folders and past settings please?
    Last edited by nicrnicr; Mar 27, 2022, 09:00 AM.

The short answer is "Mostly". If you tell the installer not to format the /home partition, the contents of your /home/user partition will be untouched. If however, you tell the installer to format the /home partition, you loose everything, and end up with a 'fresh, first time' installation. Caveat Emptor: This assumes that you have separate partitions for / and /home.
    Warning: IF YOU HAVE YOUR INSTALLATION SETUP WITH ONLY A ROOT ( / ) PARTITION, REINSTALLING WILL RESULT IN A 'fresh, first time' INSTALLATION.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you very much Snowhog .
      I am the installer and I have my installation setup with only a root.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Warning: IF YOU HAVE YOUR INSTALLATION SETUP WITH ONLY A ROOT ( / ) PARTITION, REINSTALLING WILL RESULT IN A 'fresh, first time' INSTALLATION.
        Isn't that if you choose to format the partition? I thought if not, /home would not be overwritten.

Doing test installs, sometimes the installer has failed when I haven't formatted the root partition.

In any case, good backups (1-2-3 ideally) are a very good idea.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          Isn't that if you choose to format the partition? I thought if not, /home would not be overwritten.
          The OP only has one partition: root

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            The OP only has one partition: root
            When I said /home, I meant the /home directory tree within that root partition.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

I can’t answer to that, as I’ve never had a single partition set up. The installer wouldn’t/couldn’t know about an embedded home directory in the root partition.

Comment

Working...
              X