XCB error makes X11 unuseable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XCB error makes X11 unuseable

After updating my system yesterday, I now have this bug - Link Blender is also unusable for me, which is slightly important as Blender is my livelihood. I've switched to Wayland and it will work temporarily, but I only have 1 of 3 monitors functioning and some of my hot keys aren't working. What I really need is to undo whatever messed up X11, but if that is impossible I need some instruction on how to make Wayland work better. I can work again but this is a huge slowdown.

Did you attempt the 'workaround' addressed in this reply near the bottom of the page you linked:

Tadej Pečar (tpecar) added a subscriber: Tadej Pečar (tpecar).Edited · Jan 12 2022, 3:19 PM
    I'm also affected by this issue on Arch Linux with Blender 3.0.0, libx11 1.7.3.1-1 and libxcb 1.14-1.

I'm using KDE + i3 as the window manager (as per https://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/U...rs_with_Plasma) under X11.

The main issue seems to be that when F12 is pressed, the default configuration is to open a new window, which also grabs focus and changes cursor location. It seems that some of these actions upset the X11 event handler and it aborts the application.

While this is not a Blender issue per-se, I assume that a workaround could be made on Blenders side to prevent the race condition.

My current workaround for now is to configure Blender to *not* open a new window, configured with Edit > Preferences > Interface > Editors > Temporary Editors > Render In : "Keep User Interface"
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I read a little about i3 and I'm not sure it has enough functionality, but at this point I'll try anything.

If you're referring to configuring Blender not to open new windows, I'm having a more severe problem than tpecar. My Blender will crash at the "Edit" part. The "Edit" dialogue isn't a separate window, but it's enough of a "window" to cause the crash. The little tool option dialogues that Blender is constantly popping up will crash it.

Comment

If the update included a kernel, did you try booting using the old kernel, which is probably still in the grub menu?

This problem is one reason why I've used BTRFS since 2016.

I don't know what kind of backup system you are using but "try anything" can include rolling back your system to what it was before the update which messed it up. With BTRFS it would take only a minute. If you are using TImeShift or Bacula then I don't know how long it will take but it would be a lot easier than backing out the update one file at a time and testing.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I went back a dozen kernels and it's crashing much less now. I'd rather work than this than Wayland at least.

Comment

Spoke too soon, even with the old kernel it's crashing too often to use.

Comment

Working...
            X