X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Avoid a windows partition to mount on system start

Hi all!
    I want to make that the system stops mounting the windows "System reserved" partition on start up.
    I use the fstab file, so I wrote this:

LABEL=System\040Reserved none auto noauto 0 0
    before I save it, I want to know if it is all right (I dont want to crash the system)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 28, 2022, 12:34 PM.

Why do you want it there anyway? I can't think of any reason to. IIUC it's there to let you do a factory reset of Windows. I imagine any use of it from Kubuntu would screw that purpose up; and if you're going to screw it up, better to wipe it and add the space to a Linux partition.

So, to answer your question, "noauto" won't cause a problem, but a more sensible approach would be to delete the entry altogether, or insert a "#" at the beginning of the line to comment it out.

If you really do have good reasons to use "noauto", it wouldn't be a problem outside a normal Linux directory set up (/usr, /var and so on). Some software could be set up to use various mounts and would fail without them, but you would have documented that when setting up the software .

I often have various old drives in a system and have "noauto" on them; I usually add "user" as well so that I don't have to authenticate to use them. I've got "noauto" on /boot/efi to stop grub updates dicking with it, but installing grub-efi-amd64-bin instead of grub-efi-amd64 is a better way to do that.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I cheat, and configure automounting of drives via System Settings Removable Storage options. This is also accessible from the systray applet.
      Seems oddball, but it seems to work when oddball things are being mounted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220126_060305.png
Views:	145
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	660187

Comment

Thanks claydoh, I follow your advice and it works fine.
        Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X