Pulseaudio issues with multiple audio devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulseaudio issues with multiple audio devices

I have a strange behavior with Pulseaudio. I have an integrated Intel PCH audio, a webcam with microphone, an HDMI monitor and a USB headset.
    Now if I don't plug the webcam, Pulseaudio works fine, but the default device is set to the HDMI monitor (which does not have speakers) and I have to change it every time. I tried to change the default device in config, but it doesn't seem to be working. With this config, most software is working fine, except that microphone is not working in Chrome, Skype, Zoom and Audacity.

If I plug in the webcam, then Pulseaudio dies and does not recognize any devices. However, ALSA still works and both the speakers and microphone work without issues. But this way I'm not able to change the audio output device, so the USB headset is not working (only if I directly select it in i.e. VLC, but not all software supports this device selection)

How can I start solving this? Should I try to fix Pulseaudio or just stick with ALSA? If the latter, how can I make ALSA work with the USB headset?

Thanks in advance

I have a similar issue. When I use to have Mint Cinnamon on my laptop I installed a program called Iriun Webcam, to use my smartphone's cam like a webcam. On Kubuntu this software works, but every time after i turn my laptop on I have to change the input and output do internal speakers and microphone. I put then as default but it always change after turn the laptop off.

Comment

(I don't know much about pulseaudio, and some of what it does mystifies me.) Changing inputs and outputs for pulseaudio can be be scripted with the pa_ctl command. As a workaround, you could have a widget in a panel that makes the change, making it just one click.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
      X