This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ABANDONED] Konqueror won't load

I thought I would use Konqueror instead of Dolphin (issue now solved), and found a strange bug on my system. When I install Konqueror from "Discover", it runs the first time and after that when I click on it it flashes for a moment n the task manager, but never actually runs... If I uninstall it, and reinstall it does the same thing...over and over again. Only runs the first time... It's only curiosity at this point, since I am using Dolphin again.
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Josephus; Nov 16, 2021, 08:31 PM.

It might be that not all the required bits were installed when you installed Konqueror via Discover. Discover isn't a package manager like Muon or Synaptic are.

Open a terminal and type: sudo apt update && sudo apt install --reinstall konqueror

If there are any reported errors, copy and paste them into your reply here. If there aren't any reported errors, try restarting konqueror. Does it work correctly?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, Thanks for your great response.

Maybe the most important thing I learned from your post is : Discover is not a package manager!!! That was IMPORTANT news.
      So knowing that, and except that it looks cool, is there any reason I should use Discover as installer instead of the other two?
      (not knowing if all files needed are being installed)

I've been using Synaptic since Ubuntu 10...but, I had forgotten about it. Tried it, same result. Tried Muon (which looks a lot like Synaptic), same result. Tried "sudo apt update", same result. This last try looked like it was going to work but no go.

No errors, on all three, but Konqueror still won't run.. Well, it's not important now, it's only curiosity. If you have any other ideas, I would definitely try it. But honestly, I won't spend too much more time on this.

Thanks again!
      Last edited by Josephus; Nov 16, 2021, 07:20 PM.

Comment

We might gain more information on what’s happening by launching Konqueror from the command line. Open Konsole and type konqueror

Copy the output and paste it in a reply here.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks,
          I tried that long ago...nothing at all happens, cursor just jumps to next line...

joe@joe755:~$ konqueror
          joe@joe755:~$

Comment

I just uninstalled Konqueror. Thank you for your helpful reply.
            Last edited by Josephus; Nov 16, 2021, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I bet that ~/.cache/konqueror/ is still around, and so will be ~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/konqueror
              Delete those two folders and then reinstall Konqueror from muon and see if it runs without disappearing.

One of the first things I do after installing Kubuntu (or KDE Neon) is to purge snap, flatpak and Discover. The only thing I "lose" is the setting in Discover which allows you to manually turn on or off the upgrade offline during boot feature. However, if I wanted to do that I'd use pkcon as the tool. See its man page.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X