Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Boot issue after kernel update

Hi,

Yesterday I accepted an update that was pending: I noticed it was major, as many packages were new, and I noticed a Kernel update. All went well and continued working after the update. Turned off the PC, yet today that I turned it on, the screen was black after a few seconds of boot. After several ctrl-alt-del, the PC reinitiated. I used the Kubuntu advanced boot options, and from around 5 kernel options, I selected the second one in the list. It booted well.

Seems then that the latest Kernel update has an issue in my PC? first time it happens in any distro I have had.

Is there a way to remove the kernel that have issues, and boot by default using the previous one?

Any help?
    Last edited by alquimista.ndc; Nov 13, 2021, 11:57 PM.

You can always remove a kernel via the package manager, for me that would be Muon.
    Yet it is strange it won't boot after a kernel update.

Which kernel version gives you a problem?
    (Keep an eye on the post I am going to make about my own kernel problem)

Comment

In the mean time I found out the hard way that when the root drive is full the system can't start up properly.
      So have a look how much space is left and do a 'sudo apt autoremove & clean to get rid of no longer used kernels and cached .deb files.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
        You can always remove a kernel via the package manager, for me that would be Muon.
        Yet it is strange it won't boot after a kernel update.

Which kernel version gives you a problem?
        (Keep an eye on the post I am going to make about my own kernel problem)
        5.11.0-40 is the bad one

Got to return to the 5.0.11-38, listed as second entry in the boot list.

Now that I'm checking, something odd hapened:

Using the special Ubuntu boot, lists the 5.11.0-40 in the top of the list; that is why I assume is the one that is broken.
        When I execute Muon, it tells me that that kernel version is not installed; how so, when I see it listed in the grub menu?

I installed the 5.11.0-40 using Muon, and now all is well; the computer boots normally, with no need to go back to the 38 version.

WT# happened?

Last edited by alquimista.ndc; Nov 15, 2021, 01:58 PM.

Comment

An incomplete installation of the kernel. It happens -- rarely. That it is now fully installed and functioning, don't worry 'bout it.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X