This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox developer 95.0b6 (64-bit) crashing multiple times a day

This is a recent problem but I didn't note exactly when it started - sometime in the past 10 days, I think.

I reduced my addons to a bare minimum. Not a fix.

I tried safe mode (all addons, themes, etc., disabled). Within a minute, when I keyed Ctrl+F, it crashed.

I also get frequent Tab crashes, which FF is always able to recover from.

These crashes happen when I'm actively using FF AND when I'm working in a very different problem, so the problem seems not necessarily related to GUI interaction.

A forum search doesn't reveal anyone else having this problem, but maybe, like me, they're too busy to report it, or just hoping it gets fixed soon.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Not use a developer pre-release?

Have you looked at Mozilla/Firefox-specific forums?
    I doubt you will find many, if any of us here, running the same version you have.
    Plus, as this specific version is only one day old, it may take time for folks to download and use it.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responding. I much appreciate your own speed in responding to me.

I using the current updated version of the Developer Edition of Firefox - not a prerelease version.

The version I posted about has had 3 updates, so I am content for them to keep tuning it. It does mostly work.

Thanks again for your response. You can always be relied upon!

Comment

it still is Beta-ish ( the 'b6' part of the v95) that has new features ahead of the normal Firefox releases (currently at v94)
        You'd need to compare it with a normal Firefox and see if the same thing is happening with that. And of course report bugs to Mozilla.
        I am afraid that there are likely few to zero people here who use this version of FF, and you might see m ore resolution looking at Mozilla's support forums for this specific and somewhat niche use case.

But one thing I missed mentioning is to try with a fresh firefox profile, and see if it still occurs there.

Also: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ctlocale=en-US
        It well could be a hardware acceleration issue, which is actually fairly new, and sometimes buggy, in Linux

Comment

What claydoh was hinting at (IMO), is why don't you want to use the User Edition (v94) that's available in the repos? What is your need to run the Developer Edition?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            What claydoh was hinting at (IMO), is why don't you want to use the User Edition (v94) that's available in the repos? What is your need to run the Developer Edition?
            Fair question. And I considered reverting to the normal user edition. I use the Developer edition because I have ongoing development of four websites, and some of the developer-related tools are helpful.

I suppose I'll just have to live with this instability. It's mostly an irritation and little more

Comment

I have been using the upstream mozilla builds of the developer edition for many years now, and I have a hard time remembering a crash. Certainly have not had any recently.
              On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                I have been using the upstream mozilla builds of the developer edition for many years now, and I have a hard time remembering a crash. Certainly have not had any recently.
                Interesting. Developer has continued to crash, for me, multiple times a day, and at times this can be a major disruption. I have reverted to the standard stable edition. It too crashes approximately daily or more, but not as often as Developer.

I tried deactivating my addons, most of which I do need, but that didn't seem to make any difference. This is all rather perplexing.

So now I fall back to my standard response of last resort: I am waiting for a magical fix, as the universe continues to evolve toward perfection. Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
                  I have reverted to the standard stable edition. It too crashes approximately daily or more...
                  I imagine it would be a pain, but I suspect you won't get stability without resetting your profile.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

UPDATE: We are now almost 2 months downstream. Firefox tab crashes (trivial and easy to restore) happen from time to time - maybe every other day. Total Firefox crashes happen roughly as often - a major decrease. I have done nothing to make this happen. As I suggested may happen in the fullness of time, it does appear that the universe is slowly evolving toward perfection...except. of course, in US politics, where one of our 2 major political parties continues its descent into utter delusion. This shows us, of course, that progress toward perfection is non-monotonic. I have long suspected this. Hmmm....

Comment

I'm running FireFox 96.0 without any problems. I also installed LibreWolf to try it out, and it works great too! It is based on FF 96.0.2
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X