X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not delete a vault

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to try the Vault feature, created one, and now I would like to delete it - I can not do that.

I did find a bug report about this on the bugs.kde.org site, the status claims it is "RESOLVED FIXED":
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=385444

Following the instructions there did not work for me.
    Just wondering what is up.

This is my system, and I apply all the updates as they show up:

Dual boot W10/Linux desktop system
    Linux Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04.3
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
    Qt Version: 5.12.8
    Kernel Version: 5.4.0-89-generic
    OS Type: 64-bit
    Processors: 6 × Intel® Core™ i5-8500 CPU @ 3.00GHz
    Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
    Display: UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop)
    Storage: 256GB SSD, 1TB HD
    Partitions: 150GB W10 on SSD, 90GB Linux root on SSD,
    15GB Linux swap on HD, 250 GB NTFS on HD, 500GB Linux home on HD

Thanks, Peter

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?...142619#p383091
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
      The instructions there are exactly as in the bug report!

Removing the vault is not as simple as described there.
      The encryption process also needed to be killed before the vault folders could be deleted.

Thanks, Peter

Comment

Ya, they are, but Michael Tunnell's solution has the basedir vault files in
        ~/Vaults/Vault_NAME
        ~/Vaults/Vault_NAME.enc

but they are probably in ~/.local/share/plasma-vault

A vault is really just an encrypted directory using cryfs.org techniques, a shown in the command line example:
        cryfs basedir mountdir
        What did you use for basedir and mountdir?

"You can modify files and directories in the mountdir directory. CryFS will then encrypt them and store the encrypted data in the basedir directory. The mountdir directory is a virtual directory, meaning it doesn't actually exist on your harddisk, but is provided by CryFS. Whenever you access files or directories in it, CryFS handles the decryption in the background, so that you can work with mountdir as if it was a real directory"

Their tutorial explains how to umount the "mountdir" using
        cryfs-umount mountdir

If you can't delete the vault files it is probably because cryfs is still running. Shut cryfs down by using cryfs-umount on mountdir and then, delete any files in basedir ( ~/Vaults and in ~/.local/share/plasma-vault) and then log out and log back in.

The documentation says that attempts to open a vault more that once at the same time corrupts it. You can learn more about it by reading how it works.

If you decide not to use Vaults you can remove the cryfs app which is in the repository.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 08, 2021, 10:08 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed explanation and for the links, really appreciate it!

Regards, Peter

Comment

Working...
          X