Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 20.04.3, Nvidia GTX 1660. System hangs at motherboard logo on boot.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu 20.04.3, Nvidia GTX 1660. System hangs at motherboard logo on boot.

I'm still not having much luck with Kubuntu.

I recently upgraded my hardware to the following.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, with 32gb DDR4 ram and an MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI motherboard.

I have retained my Nvidia GTX 1660 GPU.

I have done a complete fresh install, using a new M2 SSD for the root partition and efi partition, and a new 2tb hard drive for my /home partition (I've still to transfer my data across from my old /home partition)

While I managed to get Kubuntu installed, whenever I turn on / reboot the system, it hangs after the motherboard logo. If I then reboot, then select "recovery mode" from the grub menu, the system boots, but without graphical acceleration.

Nvidia drivers are nvidia-driver-470 as installed by the driver manager. I also have the same issue with the Nvidia-460 drivers.

Thoughts? Perhaps Kubuntu 20.04.3 is "too old" for my current hardware?

The kernel I'm running is 5.11.0-38-generic
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 09, 2021, 06:32 AM.

Your GPU requires an Nvidia 450 or higher driver, so 470 is ok. You might consider changing your kernel version, either higher or lower.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek. It could possibly be me needing to use a newer kernel version. Perhaps I'll take another look at Kubuntu once 22.04 gets released next year.

Comment

That sounds like a plan
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

One thing I may try though, is Kubuntu 21.10, and see how that works.

Comment

I managed to successfully get Kubuntu 21.10 installed.

One thing which may have been causing the issue, was I still had connected my old 120gb SSD, which I had a previous distro root partition on. This drive had it's own efi system partition. So perhaps this was what was causing my system to hang, as the although I had told the Kubuntu 20.04 installer to install using the efi partitition on the new 500gb SSD, the system didn't know which efi to boot from?

Anway, I removed the old SSD, and Kubuntu 21.10 installed OK.

Comment

Originally posted by brianinnes View Post
              I managed to successfully get Kubuntu 21.10 installed.

One thing which may have been causing the issue, was I still had connected my old 120gb SSD, which I had a previous distro root partition on. This drive had it's own efi system partition. So perhaps this was what was causing my system to hang, as the although I had told the Kubuntu 20.04 installer to install using the efi partitition on the new 500gb SSD, the system didn't know which efi to boot from?

Anway, I removed the old SSD, and Kubuntu 21.10 installed OK.
              However a couple of issues with missing dependencies for some applications on the 21.10 repositories and I'm thinking that I'd be best with 20.04 LTS!

Comment

However a couple of issues with missing dependencies for some applications on the 21.10 repositories and I'm thinking that I'd be best with 20.04 LTS!
                Which applications? Which dependencies?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Which applications? Which dependencies?
                  libfdk-aac1 for stremio is one example, however I think 20.04 LTS would be a better fit for my HTPC (as well as my desktop) :-)

Comment

libfdk-aac1 for stremio is one example, however I think 20.04 LTS would be a better fit for my HTPC (as well as my desktop) :-)
                    True, an HTPC is an ideal use case for an LTS

libfdk-aac1 was replaced by libfdk-aac2
                    Stremio's package for some reason has not been updated to work with newer Ubuntu releases, probably because they have a flatpak for it, that works on all distros.

And if you want, it is not difficult to remedy this one specific thing:
                    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1295...n-ubuntu-20-10

Stremio has not had a new UI debian package since June 2020, which does explain the lack of support for newer Ubuntu releases.

Comment

Working...
                    X