Observation on LTS releases vs Kernel releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observation on LTS releases vs Kernel releases

My preference is to stay with the latest LTS (Long Term Support) release and only install the short term releases as a momentary stepping stone on the path to updating to the next LTS release (ver. 22.04?).

I also install more current Kernel releases as they reach the second point update. This is my preference, NOT a requirement.

Right now, I'm running Kubuntu 20.04.2 LTS and Kernel release 5.10.32. I note that later releases of the Kernel (> 5.10.32) are compiled with a dependency on LIBC6 verson >= 2.33 while the 20.04.2 LTS release is using LIBC6 ver = 2.31.

I DON"T want to force install LIBC6 version 2.33 because of some serious warnings about possible dependency problems.

So, I'm prevented from updating the Kernel to more recent versions (> 5.10.32). Yes, I know that Kernel version 5.11 has been released and has the same LIBC6 version dependency as of Kernel 5.11.17

My question, are there any plans to update Ubuntu/Kubuntu LTS 20.04 to use LIBC6 ver. >= 2.33? I'm OK with no update, but we do still have some time left on LTS 20.04 support.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

libc6 is such a major and significant core level library that I don't think it is possible to upgrade in a sane, safe manner that doesn't break many things.
    Not completely sure, but I *think* to do this they would need to rebuild a good portion, or at least very important and core parts of the entire software repository, just to add this, and this would force everyone to upgrade libc6. That would effect a huge number of enterprise and server room installs, as well as those who desire the LTS setup.

Unless they can patch the current version of libc6, or the kernel code to build on the current 20.04 version.

But as far as I can see, you can still compile a 5.12 kernel on 20.04, so things are muddy.
    I see no devel chat on the topic, so maybe the dep is just arbitrary in the mainline builds at the moment.

More human search bot stuff
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1926938
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/umkl/+bug/1927024

Comment

Thanks @claydoh
      I can live with the current situation and wait until the next LTS release.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

An observation on the libc6 version conflict with Kubuntu 20.04.2.
        Kernel release 5.4.117 (latest release) is still compatible with libc6 version 2.31 and does not fail with errors on install.
        It appears that I may be able to keep the running kernel updated by reverting to the Kernel series 5.4.x.
        If this holds true for future Kernel releases, I will be happy 'til the EOL of 20.04.2

Comment

Just curious, kernel 5.4?

Code:
          inxi -Sxxxx
          System:    Host: john-HP-ENVY-x360 Kernel: 5.8.0-50-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
                    Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.18.5 tk: Qt 5.12.8 wm: kwin_x11 dm: SDDM 
                    Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (Focal Fossa)
          5.8 works fine here.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Thanks for testing that kernel version. I'll try it on my 20.04.2 installation.

[edit] I find that Kernel 5.8.18 also works with libc6 ver. 2.31. That is the most recent Kernel in the 5.8.x series which is offered by Ubuntu Mainline Kernel Installer.

Thanks again.
            Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; May 07, 2021, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Just search in muon linux-image-oem-20.04 and you can install official ubuntu kernel 5.10, 5.13 or 5.14.
              Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

@snelle Thanks, long since fixed that problem.

Comment

Working...
                X