This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win10 Pro and Kubuntu 20.04.1

My son's old laptop is a 2013 System76 Gazelle, in pristine condition. It looks almost unused and shows no sign of wear, or even dust on or in any of the ports. He asked me to install Kubuntu 20.04 on it and I did, using BTRFS as the RootFS. I also installed Python3 and Anaconda with Jupyter notebooks. Kubuntu runs like a dream, and all the laptop features work perfectly. I created snapshots of @ and @home as insurance against future problems.

What brought this about? For his birthday a month ago his wife bought him a new HP laptop which, of course, had Win10 on it. He uses Win10 at work so he first upgraded it to Win10 Pro. Then he activated Hyper-V for Win10 Pro, enabling ALL of its components. Following that he rebooted. Then he downloaded and checksumed the Kubuntu 20.04.1 ISO file, and created a LiveUSB using it. That became his "local installation source". Booting it from Hyper-V, from then on it was just following the Kubuntu install steps, which included creating an efi partition (50Mb) and 500Gb (on half of his external 1TB spinner), formatted as / with BTRFS. Then he made snapshots of @ and @home to fall back to if things get messed up with his experimentation.

The install completed perfectly and when the Hyper-V Kubuntu is running he can switch between it and Win10Pro with a mouse click. The combo appears to behave exactly as a virt-manager Kubuntu installation running on, of course, Kubuntu! So, he boots to Win10Pro and fires up the Hyper-V when he wants to run Kubuntu.

He also installed Python3, his favorite programming language, and Anaconda with Jupyter to create notebooks in his Firefox browser. One happy camper, one fantastic birthday present.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.
Working...
X