This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just want to say Thank from a long time user

I wanted to give a huge Thanks to the development team for such a great release. I began using Kubuntu way back at version 5.10, and have been pleased over the years and even helped spread the word with some How-to's and all. I've been looking at building a new desktop for some time as my old Gigabyte 990 (2011) chipset motherboard is getting a bit long in the tooth. There just aren't enough upgrades to squeak out any more performance. It will become the newest member of the KVM farm... So, I've been doing a bunch of research and wound up with a Gigabyte x570 board with a couple of Gigabyte 1T Aorus drives and 32 Gig of ram. After finagling the installer a bit and building everything utilizing LVM, it runs REALLY good. I wasn't able to snatch one of the Nvidia 3060 TI cards yet but It will come around. Seems the Nvidia 1060 3G feels right at home for now. So after configuring some apps I loaded up Steam and installed the Witcher 3 and it runs real good.

I was in the middle of playing that game and wanted to finish it. All I can say is, its very very smooth running and gets 50-80 FPS with the older card. I can only imagine what the new card will do. The most impressive thing though is there is absolutely no load times during the game play. These gen 4.0 ssd's are really impressive, Boot times for a warm reboot are about 7 seconds from the bios post to the login. That's Impressive. Right now I am running two instances of Brave each with 5 tabs, listening to Clementine, transferring files back from my NFS server and have the game paused. The system monitor has the 12 cpus almost idle and the memory usage is only 2.9GB!! That's crazy good.

The only complaint I can think of is the lack of LVM choice during setup/install. I don't understand the lack of it except that maybe the installer is geared to the new Linux user. Maybe make it an advanced option? Anyway its not a big deal to set up the install drive with the partition manager while running the live dvd then installing to the setup drives. Just a bit more work but it sure would be nice to see an LVM option in setup. My old PC had survived three progressive LTS upgrades and never had any problems over the years. I look forward to many more years with the new setup.

Thanks
    Last edited by PDR60; Jan 09, 2021, 06:34 PM.

Welcome to Nirvana!
    SSD's are marvelous!
    My 20.04 fully updated gives me 7.039 sec from post to login as well.
    The FPS setting in Desktop Effects gives me an average of 80-90 fps on the desktop with my Nvidia GT650M GPU.
    (but, its "not a bench mark" )
    When I run Minecraft I can get between 120 to 250 fps, according to its meter.
    On Steam's Universe Sandbox^2 I get about 90fps.
    I recently started playing with Python and installed Anaconda with Jupyter as the IDE. Fantastic tool! I did my on plotting of covid data and used Benford's Law to test new cases and new deaths validity. They failed.
    I just installed the TensorFlow library in Anaconda to work on some AI stuff.
    The power, flexibility and extensibility of Kubuntu is outstanding! Cudos to the developers indeed!
    I'm 79 and I hope this 8 year old laptop keeps on running till I no longer need it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Excellent post, @PDR60! I share your feelings--I absolutely love Kubuntu and can't say enough about the folks who develop it. Thanks for providing a great testimonial!
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I'm 79 and I hope this 8 year old laptop keeps on running till I no longer need it.
        GG, you're going to outlive that laptop by a long shot!
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

If I live as long as my dad I've got 15 years to go. BUT, considering how much my mental facilities have already failed, I'll probably forget how to use this thing long before then.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Nah, you'll be fine, GG. So what if it takes a little longer to remember something? I keep telling myself it's not a big deal. And it isn't! In the grand scheme of things. You're getting older, me too, big deal! Sometimes I'll spend a WEEK trying to remember a name of a book or TV show or whatever--I refuse to let myself look it up. Other times it's just a few minutes or seconds. Frustrating? You bet!

But bearable.

In my humble opinion, you have more knowledge in your pinky finger than many people have in their whole bodies, and while it may take a little longer to think of things, or formulate your thoughts, you're not going to just flat-out lose all that knowledge. (Barring something awful, like Alzheimer's of course.)

Comment

I just sent them a donation. Thanks Kubuntu
              Linux since 2008, Kubuntu 20.10
              *ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
              *AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
              *G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM -- Asus GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4 GB

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                ...., you're not going to just flat-out lose all that knowledge. (Barring something awful, like Alzheimer's of course.)
                The sad thing is knowing that I used to know some things ... but those things are now just general impressions, not actual knowledge.

I taught General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Anatomy & Psychology, Calc I, II & III and DE in college for years. I used to know the names of all 92 naturally occurring elements in sequence by At. No. I knew their groups, their electron configuration, oxidation states, densities, electronegativities, and other properties. Now, I cannot just name the first 10. Forget the rest. Just the names. If I see a symbol I can usually guess the name, or if I see a name I can usually guess the symbol, but nothing else. Without the clues I am clueless.

Another example: I've used Linux since 1998, but I know less now about Kubuntu than I knew about SuSE in 2000. The primary reason I visit this forum every day is to refresh my Kubuntu knowledge using the posts of Oshunluver, Snowhog, Claydoh, you and others. If I forget how to adequately use StartPage then I'm finished. It's how I "refresh" what I used to know, or, learn it again.

But, as I tell the cashiers at the grocery checkout, "Every day above ground is a good day". My brothers and sisters, my wife and the exploits of my kids and grandkids make it so.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 14, 2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

GG, Remember the CRC "bible"? The Chemical Rubber Company book of data? I used to recommend that each my students who planned on going on in the sciences should buy a copy every 5 years or so. The base numbers don't change very often and I long ago gave up remembering it all in my head. I'd start a collection and we'd order a box of books every couple of years.

The sad part is that I've lost at least five copies over the years and still need to order one for myself.

What'd you say your name was again?
                  Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I'm not sure. My wife calls me "Hey You!"

The CRC Handbook is a case in point. At the end of my Freshman year, 1961, I had the highest GPA in the General Chemistry class and Prof Bradford presented me with a copy of the current release of the CRC Handbook. The 42nd, I think, computing backwards.

I decided to post a copy of the picture my roommate took (he was the school student yearbook photographer) on to this post. I had seen it a few days ago while looking for something else. Some time ago I had photographed all of our family photos using my Redmi Note 7 and later transferred them to my GS10. A few weeks ago I copied them onto my Kubuntu installation so they would be part of the BTRFS backup on the archive drive. So, earlier today, I used Gwenview to scan my SSD to see if I could find that photo, but it wasn't on my laptop. I plugged my GS10 phone and used Gwenview to scan it as well. After scanning through hundreds of photos several times on both devices to make sure I hadn't over looked the photo I decided that I had missed that photo when I copied them with my Note 7. I asked my wife where the box of photos were so I could photo graph it and add it to my digitized collection. "Which one are you looking for?", she asked. I described it to her. "It's setting on the dress drawers in the bedroom".

So, here in the photo I am, DA and all, shaking hands with the prof while receiving the handbook.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	CRC_handbook_award_1961_from_DrBradford.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	645005
                    (Put on too much weight and lost a LOT of hair since that photo was taken )
                    Why are the photos no longer inline?
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 15, 2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Ah! The 42nd edition. I knew it well.
                      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I went to the garage and looked into an old filing cabinet ... it was there! The 42nd edition of the CRC handbook! I took a couple of photos.

Here is a photo showing the black duct tap holding the covers onto the binding. One can see that the darkest finger stains are in the middle pages, which contain the properties of organic compounds.

Name:	CRC_Handbook_cover.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	645006
                        My wife doesn't remember getting the 57th edition for me and I don't remember buying it. Don't know where I got it.

And here is his note to me, inside the front cover.

Name:	CRC_note_from_Bendford.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	645007

BTW, here is a free PDF copy of the 84th edition, 2003-2004:
                        https://fap.if.usp.br/~jhsevero/Fisi...l_2020/crc.pdf

Comment

Thanks for the link for the CRC download. Only 34.5MB

Comment

CRC, brings back memories that I forgot ;-) . Did my B.S. at a small, private engineering college (Rose Polytechnic Institute of Technology, Terre Haute IN), where I majored in math. Slide rule heaven (I had several, including a 6" POST Versalog, which I have right here with me on my desk). Everyone said to get the CRC, so I did, and soon realized the thing was indispensable in so many ways. Like formulas; not to speak of trig values and such. Even doing pure path, you still need to rig up specific concrete examples now and then to demonstrate things. I have my last copy of CRC here somewhere on a shelf. Of course, things are different nowadays, aren't they? And my pure math became Algebraic Topology, Homotopy/Homology Theory, Abstract Algebra, Mathematical Logic, and such.
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              My wife doesn't remember getting the 57th edition for me and I don't remember buying it. Don't know where I got it.

And here is his note to me, inside the front cover.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9247[/ATTACH]
                              Given the dedication, I'd say that the signer -- your professor? -- presented this copy to you.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X