This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Pluses and minuses

Was extremely pleased with Kubuntu 20.04.1, especially because Muon was reintegrated to Plasma (first time since 14.04, so since Plasma went from 4 to 5). Until now, in Plasma 5, Muon worked like a parallel and independent update app to Discover (checking repositories worked independently for the two).
    On another laptop have installed Neon 18.04 (will upgrade soon to 20.04 too). First had lot of issues with Plasma (5.13 I believe), but now it is at 5.19.4 and everything works fine. Thus I had no fears to install on my other laptop Kubuntu 20.04.1.
    But, when first time opened Kdenlive, it broke Plasma (5.18.5)... And since, have lost all animations, and windows for all apps look strange (without borders except for the top bar), things that bothers a lot if window over window. Checked themes (Kubuntu and gtk2+3), checked animations, but everything is there, set as it should. It looks like KDE made for KDE brakes KDE... I'm sure things will improve with future updates (Plasma and/or apps upgrades), but for the moment I have to reinstall Kubuntu 20.04.1 and give-up to Kdenlive in favour of Pitivi. But will wait to see how the Neon 20.04 behaves on my other laptop, maybe I'll switch to it on this machine too. Meantime will test any other KDE app I installed, and if broken will post here.
    Will post a bug report on KDE forums, as this issue is a KDE exclusive one (not Ubuntu) - did it.
    I was so happy with the reintegration of Muon...

Later: Checked all other KDE apps installed by default or by me and everything works fine.
    Last edited by aria; Oct 25, 2020, 11:19 AM.
    aria

For kdenlive it is usually better to try the latest versions via their appimages or via their PPA. The video editor is constantly being updated and some versions can be more buggy than others.

As to Muon not sure about any integration. This program is slowly dieing as it has not had any new version in about 2.5 years.

Everything is centered around Discover these days including the notifications. Muon still works of course. Hopefully it lasts for awhile still.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Will try via PPA before reinstalling Kubuntu. Actually, I had plan to add the PPA for KDE apps today (had to do it in 18.04 too, but for KDE-connect). Unfortunately I hit the Kdenlive icon before... After reinstalling Kubuntu 20.04.1, will add this PPA before installing anything else.
      Thanks,
      aria

Comment

KDE doesn't provide a PPA for their apps, only choice being to open it in Discover: checked this and had same version (4:19.12.3-0ubuntu1).
        Also added the PPA for "Kubuntu Updates", from the “Kubuntu Package Archives” team: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ubuntu/ppa (this solved my issues with KDE-Connect in 18.04). But nothing changed with Kdenlive.
        aria

Comment

If you already have kdenlive installed, then adding the PPA will upgrade it, so you don't need to remove the original version or anything like that.

info is here:
          https://kdenlive.org/en/download/

Comment

OK, PPA wasn't from KDE... Added it and indeed a new version of Kdenlive was available. Installed it and works. Thanks!
            Now, will search how to restore Plasma, and if I find the way, will post it here. Meanwhile any suggestions for this issue?
            aria

Comment

No, couldn't find any doc. to restore the system to a previous state.
              Did boot into the previous kernel (the one that came with the 20.04.1 image, so before the upgrade after OS' installation), but it was no difference: Plasma was still bogged.
              Did reinstall all 36 packages (previously installed) I found in Muon searching with 'plasma', then reboot, but in vain.
              Any suggestions other than to reinstall all the OS?
              Thanx,
              aria

Comment

Not sure what the problem may be. Can you post a screenshot? This is a normal Kubuntu 20.04 install I take it? No system level customizations?

I cannot see how installing kdenlive using official Kubuntu packages would break plasma. They are not related in this regard and there would be a large number of reports on this happening. I can't find any myself.

For the moment make sure you are fully up to date using the command line

sudo apt update
                sudo apt full-upgrade

We are looking for any errors warnings and the like.

Another thing to try is to create a new user account and see if the sane thing is happening or not.

If things look fine there the fix may be to delete user configs to reset things back to 'stock'.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

If plasma is broken, often the cause is some configuration file. I suggest adding another user, logging out (not switch user), and logging in as the new user. If the problems don't appear, then there's something wrong in you home directory.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Right! New user behaves normally. Problem solved. Happy that damage was in Home directory and not in system!
                    As for Kdenlive, the version in the Kubuntu repository, also available from KDE (it is the same version) corrupts Plasma's settings in user's Home directory. Only the last Kdenlive version from Kdenlive PPA (suggested by claydoh above - thanks!), works well.
                    Thanks to both of you,
                    Last edited by aria; Oct 26, 2020, 08:44 AM.
                    aria

Comment

Working...
                    X