This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Impressions LTS 20.04

Double click? I forgotten how cumbersome that is.
    Not as slow as I remember from many years ago. Even DVD ISO was pretty quick.
    While coping files to home, running other programs was very slow, that may just be my laptop tho.
    Where is the turn off touchpad when mouse is plugged in?

Why can't I set my home directory as download folder in Firefox?
    I guess you are still using SUDO, I would prefer a separate password for root.
    Wish I could figure out how to read the forums in Feedly.
    Bluetooth now works on my laptop, still don't like Elisa.

This is just after a few days. Bottom line it's updated from my previous distro (Chakra) Runs well, looks decent. A few personal issues, but over all I'm good.

And here is an obligatory screenshot of my desktop, panel at top set to auto-hide and I use the Slideshow app to pick a new wallpaper every 24 hours. Nothing fantastic, but pretty much how I've done it for a long time.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200930_113020.png
Views:	1
Size:	698.6 KB
ID:	649670

Why can't I set my home directory as download folder in Firefox?
    I guess you are still using SUDO, I would prefer a separate password for root.
    Wish I could figure out how to read the forums in Feedly.
    Bluetooth now works on my laptop, still don't like Elisa.
    You can set your download target to anything you want.
    While switching to root is possible, it's a very bad practice.
    I don't know how to read anything in Feedly, and have never been concerned with it.
    Good news on the Bluetooth, and Elisa is not a requirement, so you can remove it. I use Clementine, Strawberry is good, also.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I know how to set the download target, but nothing happens when I select /home/fred Right now I have it set to desktop
      Feedly works great (well except for here) to read all the websites I like to keep up with.
      I don't like that somebody can get on my computer and change things around without inputting the root password, which is what is happening now.

Comment

Are you saying they did away with the option for "Single-click to open files and folders?"
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
          Are you saying they did away with the option for "Single-click to open files and folders?"
          No, that it wasn't set as the default. I understand if you want it turned on for Windows user, but for me it's frustrating when ever I encounter it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred47 View Post
            I know how to set the download target, but nothing happens when I select /home/fred Right now I have it set to desktop
            Feedly works great (well except for here) to read all the websites I like to keep up with.
            I don't like that somebody can get on my computer and change things around without inputting the root password, which is what is happening now.
            So you've been attacked? Whether someone has your regular password and a 5 minute window after sudo, or someone has your root and the ability to take over at their leisure. You will be had. Have a good password, long and random for either and you'll be good. Not using root actually makes you more secure - and less Windows-like.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
              So you've been attacked? Whether someone has your regular password and a 5 minute window after sudo, or someone has your root and the ability to take over at their leisure. You will be had. Have a good password, long and random for either and you'll be good. Not using root actually makes you more secure - and less Windows-like.
              I'm sorry I'm not explaining it better, but right now anyone can modify the menu, panel, clock, and various system settings without a password. That is exactly like Windows. With a seperate root password they would be required to enter that password to make those changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred47 View Post
                I'm sorry I'm not explaining it better, but right now anyone can modify the menu, panel, clock, and various system settings without a password. That is exactly like Windows. With a seperate root password they would be required to enter that password to make those changes.
                Do you mean you're leaving your computer, like to go get some coffee, and passersby can make changes on it? Or am I way off base?
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I forgot about this post. The previous reply from the OP was the day I went to the ER.

The real remedy for this issue assuming a multiuser setup, is if course separate accounts.

In a public setting where a computer is accessible to many users, such as on internet café or similar shop, then the under- documented kiosk mode tools would be useful as a starting point. No password prompt however.

https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_...k/Introduction

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    I forgot about this post. The previous reply from the OP was the day I went to the ER.
                    Wait...what?! [I'm not around here much.] Why were you in the ER? Are you okay?
                    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                      Wait...what?! [I'm not around here much.] Why were you in the ER? Are you okay?
                      Just a , ahem, simple infection inside my knee masquerading as bad gout attack Went to hospital on the 2nd.
                      Emergency arthroscopic surgery to flush the baddies out of the knee.
                      Just got out of the hospital a week ago last Friday. Mainly there so long for the IV antibiotics, in-house physical therapy, and the hospital cuisine , as I live alone and don't drive.
                      Using a walker now, and don't feel I am getting any more mobile at the moment. The infection has put off my knee replacements for 6 months on the 'good' one, and a year on the infected one.

My major accomplishment for the day today will be going down the steps from my apartment and crossing the driveway to the laundry room. Which thankfully has a ramp. Such excitement !!

Comment

But back on topic, I cannot think of any OS that would require a password for such mundane tasks, no one would go for it (MS Windows UAC prompts, anyone?)
                        But both Gnome and Plasma do have methods to lock config files so that they cannot be changed, and i assume one could change the ownership and/or permissions on the related config files themselves, but i see no way to force a password prompt to change a user's desktop settings. probably no one has really looked for such an option. I have not seen anything of the sort via some quick look-sees.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          Just a , ahem, simple infection inside my knee masquerading as bad gout attack Went to hospital on the 2nd.
                          Emergency arthroscopic surgery to flush the baddies out of the knee.
                          Just got out of the hospital a week ago last Friday. Mainly there so long for the IV antibiotics, in-house physical therapy, and the hospital cuisine , as I live alone and don't drive.
                          Using a walker now, and don't feel I am getting any more mobile at the moment. The infection has put off my knee replacements for 6 months on the 'good' one, and a year on the infected one.

My major accomplishment for the day today will be going down the steps from my apartment and crossing the driveway to the laundry room. Which thankfully has a ramp. Such excitement !!
                          Well, I'm glad you're home now and doing better. Having an infection bad enough to require hospitalization during this pandemic had to be scary.

Are you doing physical therapy at home? You should be able to have physical therapists come to you, as they did me, depending on insurance of course.

Wishing you continued improvement! Hang in there. You'll get your knee replacements eventually.

Comment

Also back on-topic: why not just lock the screen after X amount of idle time? There's your password prompt! Before anyone can do anything, they'd have to enter your password.

Or you could log out every time you're leaving your computer.

Or...it's *nix, so there are a zillion ways to accomplish things. Some--like the two I suggested--would be a pain, but they'd do what you want.

Years ago, I needed to lock down a certain user's desktop, and did so with help from members here. It involved editing various files and...I really don't remember! But once done, it worked like a charm. The user--my mom--could change/delete/add/move things to her heart's content on her computer--and once it was all screwed up, all it took was logging out/in and everything was back to normal. Like magic! I know I made notes for future reference, so if you're interested I'll dig them up and/or the old thread can be located. [It's from waaaaay before the current forum software.]

Comment

I come from Chakra where I had a separate pw for root. I like (or am use to) having a command to lock the taskbar. This prevents random errors of removing widgets and the such. It's just another level of security.

Comment

Working...
                              X