This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really Pleased with Kubuntu 20.04 LTS

I've been using the LTS versions of Kubuntu since 12.04 and I think this is the best release yet.
    I love the fact that it also has KDE Plasma 5.18 LTS. I use one rolling release distro with 5.19x and it might be nice when they get it straightened out, but I want something that, just works.
    I had been putting off switching from Legacy to EFI for about 5 motherboards now because of the work of backing up all my stuff and converting 2 drives to GPT.
    I also added a NVMe as my boot drive. It was a lot of work but I was amazed at at how easy an EFI install was with the installer.
    The only difficulty I had is that that Kubuntu live USB would freeze because of my 2080 RTX. I knew it there was a safe boot option but Kubuntu would jsut boot and freeze. Then my son reminded me to tap the ESC key so I could see safe boot as an option in grub.
    After that I was up and running in no time.
    I'm a total LTS fan and usually I don't even look at the at the interim releases.
    Great work and now I don't have to do another install until the next Kubuntu LTS release come out. (I never go the the upgrade route, I see too many many problems that those who go upgrade route have.)
    Kudos!

Yay! Another LTS only fan.

Glad you are seeing good things with 20.04 LTS. I've been LTS only for quite a while myself. Some time ago, I decided to get serious about backups. So I bought a couple of 2.5" SATA drives and some USB enclosures. That made clean install life very certain and easy. Also, when I went to UEFI with GPT drives, I just made a data backup, stuck in two new SSDs (one for / and SWAP, the other for /home) and there it was. A couple data directory adjustments and all was well for the next couple of LTS clean installs.

My backup drives are about 2x the size of /home to allow for "expansion", since that's all that ever gets backed up. It's a personal machine, not a server or Enterprise thing, so that's all that is important to me. Reinstall of the OS is rare, easy, and fast; and typically no impact on /home.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
    X