Nanny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Nanny

Why does Kubuntu want to be a nanny? In the past I could run Dolphin or Kate as root. Didn't need to often but once in a while it was useful. Yes, I know it can be dangerous and cause harm to my system. No, I don't need a nanny to tell me that. Twenty-two years ago I jumped ship on Windows because of the constant nanny nagging. I don't need it now.

A tired, old, topic with unfortunately no new answers yet.

BUT:
    You can.

You just haven't found out how yet. Search for it here, you might find it
    Or use Krusader, or another file manager. There are dozens of them.

And it is a KDE issue, not specific to Kubuntu.
    They are implementing giving sudo privileges to dolphin without physically needing to run it as root. Editing files is already done, for quite a while now. Open /etc/fstab or whatever in Kate. Edit it, Save. Enter password. Done
    Creating/deleting files is nearly ready.

Comment

you can run dolphin as root with this rather lengthy command
      Code:
      pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin
      I added it to my menu so have both instances available.
      you can use the same command with kate by changing the last part to true kate
      Last edited by kc1di; Apr 06, 2022, 10:25 AM.
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I installed Krusader a long time ago to get around that Dolphin limitation...
        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I just don't worry about it. Need things done outside of my /home directory? Open a konsole and sudo -i and provide my pwd, and root's your uncle.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X