I need to plan the upgrade from 18.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to plan the upgrade from 18.04 LTS

So i've been reading some late upgraders posts. I have 3 PC's still on 18.04 and i think i will need to schedule a day off work to do them all (and not have the kids around to bug me). i had a very bad experience upgrading from 16.04 to 18.04. but it was an easy fix - move data to the other drive, install fresh and move data back.

one has AMD chip (E-450) and should be fine. i didn't test 20.04. on it yet, but i don't expect major issues. i upgraded ram from 2 GB to 8 GB so that will help a lot and so far this one had the least issues.

the other one is Ryzen 7 & newish nvidia GTX combo and should also be fine, particularly since we added another HDD to it so i can move data around if it goes wrong. also it's new monitor is recognised correctly during install.

mine is a mixture of old (SVGA monitor, GT730 with the GT530 chip, HDDs and PSU from old machine) and new hardware (Ryzen 5 with 32 GB ram). during the hardware upgrade i found out my data disk was about to fail, so i moved all data to empty disk space on another, newer disk. and so my original plan (to use that section in case something goes wrong during upgrade on main disk) failed completely. now i am looking for an easy way out. i planned to get another disk, but i ran out of money so i have to wait for tax returns or risk & do the upgrade without extra disk.

So what i have now is: 18.04 LTS, MBR boot (legacy and not UEFI) where i had to add 20.04 HWE kernel to correctly support the CPU and motherboard. However, the 5.4 kernel is the last one my old GPU card supports, so if i do the upgrade to 20.04 i need to be on it's generic kernel.

my questions:
    1. do i still need to remove the nvidia drivers before the upgrade or is this done during the process
    2. will i get generic kernel or will it install HWE on upgrade? cause if it installs HWE i need to then add generic and remove the HWE kernel.i really need nvidia driver for the games i play.

makes me think it would be easier to wait until i can afford another hard disk and then install fresh there. or better yet, get another SSD and install there. and a new GPU would be nice, but prices are still crazy.

oh data is not that important, i could re-download it. but it would take long time to get all those games downloaded or installed (i have installed plenty using play on linux). originally i planned to do fresh install on SSD, but then decided to use the old OS install drive, only to later find out the static data drive was about to fail and already had errors. so a few panic moves later, disks got filled and now i have some games on SSD instead of OS.

otherwise 18.04 works really good, and i am quite nervous that some things won't work as well in 20.04 due to some old hardware involved. so i guess i need to do a few more test with live boot. i am not sure, if i will do it in september or next year when i could possibly afford a new GPU and maybe another disk.

You will get the HWE kernel automatically but it is fairly easily 'downgraded' to the GA kernel:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEn...tStack#Desktop

As for the upgrade, normally, you would not need to muck with removing drivers iirc. In your case it might be quite worthwhile to do so.

I do suggest to see how the current Nouveau driver fares. it has seen improvements and may work well for purpose on this card now. I will guess that the chance is small, though.

Comment

Working...
    X