About to reinstall Kubuntu Since W10, just a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MULTI BOOT] About to reinstall Kubuntu Since W10, just a few questions

This question may answer all my other questions, if I"m lucky it will. "When starting the Kubuntu installer it asked about Guided setup,or Manual Setup". My initial reaction was Manual, because for the time being I will be triple booting until I decide whether to get rid of Windows 10 or Windows 11. That's a decision for another day. Currently I have the following layout (remember this is in Windows, since Kubuntu isn't installed yet).This is a Dell laptop,W10 is on C:, W11 is on D: then I have a shared folder E:\Files and Stuff\. That is all the documents, downloads, pictures, etc..., Then also from Windows Kubuntu will be on F: So would the guided setup work better, or just figure out the correct mount point?

I ran into my first problem doing the manual install, when it asked for the mount point. After reading back up on mount points, I did not find the answer to my question, which is would my mount point be \Home or \Boot? Do I need to change the E:\Files and Stuff partition to Fat32? I do remember last time, I had Linux, I did the C;, D: E: setup and it worked great. But from the Live Disk I could not access that E: partition. I can't wait to get this reinstalled, and then start using it, once I remember how to use Linux.

Any other suggestions to get me started?

C:\\Windows 10
    D:\\ Windows 11
    E:\\ Files -N-Stuff
    * \\Kubuntu (179.46 GB unallocated partition) Future Home

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubuntu Snip partition.png
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	649765

It should be mounted as "/" (root). /home etc are all under / in the hierarchy
    The installer will automatically use your existing EFI dir for the boot files
    Other than setting root, you don't need to do anything else, or change any other partitions.
    You may want to turn off Windows Fast Reboot option, as this can 'lock' NTFS drives and they won't be accessible from outside Windows.

If you want to get more advanced, you could split that Kubuntu space into separate / and /home. This separates your user configuration and application settings/data on a separate partition from the actual OS (Much easier recovery via not needing to reformat /home with new installs etc). ~20 to 30gb for /, the rest for /home. Not necessary of course, but handy.

Someone will very quickly jump in suggest you get ll fancy-schmancy and use BTRFS for the file system, but for now you can keep it simple and ext4, and use one single partition(/), fewer things to learn right off the bat. Or however you want to do it

Comment

Thank you, I think you answered every question I had. I'm sure I'll be back eventually, but only if I can't figure it out myself.

Comment

Working...
      X