This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Unable to install Kubuntu 20.04 - SSD not seen

This is a new Acer Spin 5, with 16GB RAM and a 500GB SSD. Win10 is installed. BIOS is V1.06

When I boot from the Kubuntu 20.04.01 IOS disk, KB loads as a trial, but won't install. The partition manager reveals that no HD is seen to install to.

I have never seen this problem, in some 20 years of installing Win10 alternatives. I made very minor modification to BIOS prior to trying the install: Fast boot disabled; F12 boot menu on; supervisor and user passwords set; password on on boot set on.

Any ideas what I can do to get KB installed?
    Last edited by tomcloyd; Jan 08, 2021, 08:41 PM.

A couple of long shots...
    1. After disabling fast boot, did you boot to windows and then shut it down again?
    2. Did you use Windows to shrink the Windows partition? If not, maybe worth a try.

I suggest booting to the Kubuntu installer and use a konsole to investigate, running lspci and the like.

If you haven't read the arch wiki it might be useful.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I will bet that, like many laptops out there, the bios needs to have the drive setting changed from Intel RST (it could be named something else) to 'achi' mode. There is no support for Linux in the RST mode.

See this:
      https://sciactive.com/2020/12/04/how...-linux-2-in-1/
      You have to do some steps to fix Windows with the switch. and there are some other tips that may be useful, if this is the same exact model you have.

Comment

Fantastic - that is a lot to explore - and I am indeed researching the matter in the arch wiki and finding much to look at. This is such a beautiful machine and I do not want to give up on it!

Thank you for your thoughts.

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        A couple of long shots...
        1. After disabling fast boot, did you boot to windows and then shut it down again?
        2. Did you use Windows to shrink the Windows partition? If not, maybe worth a try.

I suggest booting to the Kubuntu installer and use a konsole to investigate, running lspci and the like.

If you haven't read the arch wiki it might be useful.
        Last edited by tomcloyd; Jan 09, 2021, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Thank you! That looks VERY promising. I somehow managed not to find that link in my own research efforts. Even to have this much to work on I am very grateful. I am returning to Kubuntu, after 5 years exploring other options. It's good to be back!

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          I will bet that, like many laptops out there, the bios needs to have the drive setting changed from Intel RST (it could be named something else) to 'achi' mode. There is no support for Linux in the RST mode.

See this:
          https://sciactive.com/2020/12/04/how...-linux-2-in-1/
          You have to do some steps to fix Windows with the switch. and there are some other tips that may be useful, if this is the same exact model you have.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
            Thank you! That looks VERY promising. I somehow managed not to find that link in my own research efforts. Even to have this much to work on I am very grateful. I am returning to Kubuntu, after 5 years exploring other options. It's good to be back!
            The drive setting is super easy to check in the bios. Could make things a bit quicker to get rolling before diving in.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

You suggestion saved me from the pit of despair. I have Kubuntu running on my new Acer Spin5 - the best computer I've ever owned. Totally pleased. Thank you so much for finding the essential resource I needed, which got me over the obstacle in fine form.

Comment

Working...
              X