X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set up advice please

Hi guys,
    I have a new PC and plan to install 20.04 and Windows as a dual boot setup. I wanted to start off on the right track, so, hoping to get some advice before I take the plunge! If you can answer any of these questions that would be fantastic help:

1 How best to set up the drive and partitions? I have a 500gb SSD, so 50/50 would seem sensible?
    2 Which format should I use? For Windows partition - NTFS? And for Kubuntu partition? I think there is a new format that I read about somewhere but can't find now.
    3 Which is the best bootloader? Best way to set up the USB installer?
    4 Does the system have to be either a Windows system with a Linux partition/option - Or a linux system with a Windows partition/option? Or am I over-complicating things?
    5 I would like to encrypt both drives. Is that possible?

So many options! So many choices! so many variables to think about! Gets me all dizzy trying to work it all out!

Thanks in advance for any help or tips, all gratefully received

All the best
    SB

Originally posted by SumBloke View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have a new PC and plan to install 20.04 and Windows as a dual boot setup...

1 How best to set up the drive and partitions? I have a 500gb SSD, so 50/50 would seem sensible?
    I suggest installing Windows first, if it's not already installed. It will organize its partitions as it thinks fit. Then, use Windows "disk management" (I'm not sure what it's called now) to shrink the Windows partition to make room for Kubuntu. How much space to allocate to each really depends on what your use of the computer will be; if Windows is for gaming then the games might have special requirements.

2 Which format should I use? For Windows partition - NTFS? And for Kubuntu partition? I think there is a new format that I read about somewhere but can't find now.
    You don't get a choice with Windows, it will be NTFS. For Kubuntu a lot of us here would suggest btrfs for Kubuntu, for its important advantages.

3 Which is the best bootloader?
    Unless you plan to have several different distros, using grub would be simplest.
    Best way to set up the USB installer?
    IMO using a multiboot USB is the only way to go, but many here cling to their favourite burning tool. I use aguslr/multibootUSB because when I was looking it supported over a hundred of iso types, and since then it just keeps working. But I suggest checking out Ventoy and Easy2Boot (aka E2B). Copy ISO files to your USB drive and boot! (Actually I usually use grub to do a loopback iso boot, no need for a USB, but that only works if grub is already installed.

4 Does the system have to be either a Windows system with a Linux partition/option - Or a linux system with a Windows partition/option?
    I think you mean something like Linux with Windows in a VM. Lots of stuff to learn, and I haven't learned much of it yet. But if you've got some Windows software you need to run all the time, or often, and it runs ok in a VM, definitely the way to go. But getting some software, like games, to run well in a Windows VM might be a mission.

I'm sure it's possible. But I've never bothered either way.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Here is another dual boot plan: Do you still have your old PC? If so, put Win10 on it and give Kubuntu your entire SSD on your new machine, using the BTRFS FS. With this "dual boot" procedure you can even run them both at the same time. Eventually you'll dump Win10 anyway.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi guys,
        I have a new PC and plan to install 20.04 and Windows as a dual boot setup. I wanted to start off on the right track, so, hoping to get some advice before I take the plunge! If you can answer any of these questions that would be fantastic help:

The installer will have an automatic partitioning option to install Kubuntu alongside Windows. There will be a slider to allow you to adjust to your liking, and the installer does the work for you.
        I suggest erring on the side of Windows being larger, particularly if you need to access common files between the two OSs. Linux can access Windows' NTFS easily. The other direction.....not so much.

Windows will be NTFS, for Linux while you can choose from among many options, the only one that is easily set up by the installer (and is the default) is the good ole ext4.
        If you are comfortable with manually partitioning a drive and then using the manual option in the installer to set up the system, btrfs is a good choice.

3 Which is the best bootloader? Best way to set up the USB installer?
        Grub is what you will use to dual boot.
        As for making the USB, there are plenty of tools for this, I usually recommend Balena Etcher as i have not had a bad 'burn' with it, ever. Many years now. Rufus is another good tool, but is a bit more complicated. Etcher is two questions, and go.

4 Does the system have to be either a Windows system with a Linux partition/option - Or a linux system with a Windows partition/option? Or am I over-complicating things?
        Yes you are You have a drive(s) with partitions. That's it.

Windows, I dunno, but the installer will give you the option to encrypt Kubuntu. No idea how it is done in Windows. Bitlocker on win10 Pro?

Comment

Working...
        X