This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] kubuntu-full and plasmashell

I install kubuntu manually because I want to run it on ZFS root. So I wrote an installation script.

But all of a sudden, the kubuntu-full meta-package is not available anymore, I think starting with 20.04.1.

I thought, OK, then let's take kubuntu-desktop.

But now I'm greeted by something very much resembling Ubuntu vanilla, even though it's KDE. Plasmashell is installed though. I can start it manually. But that's not what I want.

What package can I install such that plasmashell is running from the start to get a normal KDE session?

What base are you starting from?

kubuntu-desktop has been the correct meta-package for quite a while now (after 16.04). It should bring in everything for a full kubuntu setup, that is what its purpose is.

Installing the full meta-package alongside an existing desktop (say, a normal Ubuntu install) can be problematic as both have various startup stuff that may be conflicting, competing, or clobbering each other in some way.

Either start from an ubuntu server install (if it offers a ZFS option?), and add kubuntu-desktop,

If starting from an Ubuntu install, use a less invasive meta-package like plasma-desktop (very minimal desktop), or kde-full (plasma plus standard applications and utils)
    There are a few kubuntu-specific things that you might want as well. Not sure if SDDM is included in these metapackages, can't recall for sure, but I think they do.

apt search kubuntu will show a list, the useful ones are fairly obvious.

probably:
    kubuntu-docs/focal 15.04ubuntu4 all
    kubuntu system documentation

kubuntu-notification-helper/focal 19.10ubuntu2 amd64
    Kubuntu system notification helper

kubuntu-restricted-addons/focal 26 amd64
    Commonly used restricted packages for Kubuntu

kubuntu-restricted-extras/focal 67 amd64
    Commonly used media codecs and fonts for Kubuntu

kubuntu-settings-desktop/focal 1:20.04.9 all
    Settings and artwork for the Kubuntu (Desktop)

kubuntu-wallpapers/focal 20.04.1 all
    Kubuntu Wallpapers

kubuntu-wallpapers-focal/focal 20.04.1 all
    Selection of classic KDE wallpapers for Focal Fossa

kubuntu-web-shortcuts/focal 17.04ubuntu1 all
    web shortcuts for Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Launchpad

libkubuntu1/focal 18.04ubuntu2 amd64
    library for Kubuntu platform integration

plymouth-theme-kubuntu-logo/focal 1:20.04.9 all
    graphical boot animation and logger - kubuntu-logo theme

software-properties-qt - includes the new driver manager. The old kubuntu-driver-manager is still available, but I think it is broken, and quite old.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      What base are you starting from?
      I use debootstrap and then just add packages. Using the Ubuntu installer with ZFS is too basic (doesn't support any options like RAID etc).

In the meantime I saw that in the Ubuntu login manager it's possible to select a plasma session. That's a start, but I still want sddm back (it gets installed with kubuntu desktop).

Thanks.

Comment

Yup kubuntu-desktop is the way to go for sure in this case.

It would be interesting and helpful if you could point out the steps you are using, or link to any how to. I'm sure some here would find it useful if not educational.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X