Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to upgrade fully updated 20.04 to 22.04.1

Hello Folks:
    Now that Kubuntu 22.04.1 has been out for quite a while, I still don't notice of any automatic upgrade of my 20.04, despite the fact that the "release upgrade" option in Software Sources is set to Long term support only. So, I have decided to take a risk and manually do an upgrade to 22.04.1. So, I would like to learn, what would be the best way aside from a clean install? Thanks for any help!

First question is: Does your 20.04 setup have separate root and home partitions?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      First question is: Does your 20.04 setup have separate root and home partitions?
      No. Its fully updated on separate root and home folders on the same partition.

Comment

Even if one does not get the prompts for the upgrade, they can be started manually

Various ways are listed here:
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JammyUpgrades/Kubuntu.
        While the process itself is quite simple, and far easier than installing, some people just have bad luck, or their hardware doesn't like change

Good backups are warranted, and reinstalling is often easier than troubleshooting problems for many people, so being prepared for this is a good idea.

In my own experience, upgrades have been fine, but some people have had them go wrong. It can depend on how much one's system is customized at the system level, or how many extra PPAs one has tacked on.
        LTS to LTS are probably the most prone to complaints, more from the bigger number of changes in the UI and in the underlying OS and its configuration needs than it is in the chance of breakages.

Comment

claydoh, Thanks! Upgrade was smooth. Have had no glitches at all so far.

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
            claydoh, Thanks! Upgrade was smooth. Have had no glitches at all so far.

Comment

Working...
            X