This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ongoing booting problem

Every time I restart (or just start), It loads past the BIOS logo, past the grub, then I get an error "You need to load the kernel first, hit any key to continue". No matter how many times I hit another key, I get the same error message. The only thing that helps is, when it hits grub, I scroll down to "Change UEFI settings (may not be correct wording but you know what I mean)", let it load the BIOS screen, then I can immediately exit out of BIOS, and it will load then. I do get another error, "PS mouse failed to query abilities" but it immediately loads on up, so I don't think that one is worth mentioning, other than it might be information you need.

I have used the install media to repair grub, I've installed the repair grub program, I've searched and tried several command line fixes, and found out what all the BIOS settings should be, and made sure that's what everything was set for. I'm basically a newbie, and don't want to tear into something that could brick my system without guidance. Anybody have an idea where I need to start? Thanks.

So it works when you go to the firmware setup (ie bios), which seems to be loading hardware info, which probably may be a clue. Sometimes the "You need to load the kernel first, hit any key to continue" might indicate that grub can't find the drive the kernel ,is on - which could be hardware related. Maybe a dead cmos battery (it forgets bios settings)? A bios issue?
    check to see if there is a bios update available.

Also some basic PC info and specs, and maybe how and where you have things set up.

Comment

Just in case, as you don't mention it, and I imagine that if you've "repaired" grub, you've done the obvious, which is to run in a konsole:
      Code:
      sudo update-grub
      That error occurs if grub's "linux" command fails, when the "initrd" command runs, though I would expect other errors before that. Maybe some grub theming is suppressing them.

I suggest pressing "e" while on the Ubuntu command in grub, and reporting here what the linux command is. There may be several and they can be long and messy, maybe taking a picture of the screen would be easier. Eventually you could work to the point where you just run the linux command at the grub command prompt (press "c" to get that) and so can see the error message when it fails.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks guys let me run these suggestions, and I'll get back to you.

Comment

Yes, I have done
          Code:
          sudo update grub
          , two or three times, maybe more. I've also installed whatever and updated the kernel, Along with a few other things that I just don't remember at the moment, because I've done so much I don't remember everything.

/0/a scsi0 storage
          /0/a/0.0.0 /dev/sda disk 1TB ST1000LM035-1RK1
          /0/a/0.0.0/1 /dev/sda1 volume 49MiB Windows FAT volume
          /0/a/0.0.0/2 /dev/sda2 volume 49MiB Windows FAT volume
          /0/a/0.0.0/3 /dev/sda3 volume 15MiB reserved partition
          /0/a/0.0.0/4 /dev/sda4 volume 90GiB Windows NTFS volume
          /0/a/0.0.0/5 /dev/sda5 volume 360GiB Windows NTFS volume
          /0/a/0.0.0/6 /dev/sda6 volume 149GiB Windows NTFS volume
          /0/a/0.0.0/7 /dev/sda7 volume 150GiB Windows NTFS volume
          /0/a/0.0.0/8 /dev/sda8 volume 494MiB Windows NTFS volume
          /0/a/0.0.0/9 /dev/sda9 volume 179GiB EXT4 volume
          /0/a/0.0.0/a /dev/sda10 volume 1MiB EFI partition
          /0/b scsi1 storage
          I'll be right back after rebooting to get that iniformation.

Comment

Working...
          X