Access Shared partition w/Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Access Shared partition w/Windows

I hope this is the right section, I have dual booted a lot over the years, between beta testing new windows versions along with the stable version, or Windows and Linux, and I have always set my HDD up in partitions like this {OS1: Shared Files: (docs, pics etc): OS2/ At this point I have to keep a Windows installed for a specific program or two, So I"m dual booting for the time being. I can upload a disk layout if needed but I think your smart enough to figure it out. I mean I figured it out, just about anybody can. LOL. I actually have an empty partition at the moment, just because I haven't decided just what to do with everything. But, my shared partition, is currently NTFS for Windows sake. I did try to figure out the other day how I did that last time I was on Linux, and after reading the third way of doing it by command line (which I suck at), I was so confused I gave up for that day. Rather than jumping in and screwing something up, I thought I would check with the experts. Yes, you.

Is there an easy way to do this, I'm not putting Windows on a pedestal, I'm really not, but there are some things it's designed for dummies like me. Right click>properties>move folder>choose location>OK. I really hope I can one day figure out the command line, last time I forced myself to use it even when there was a GUI available, to try and learn, and will do that again, but my health has been bad (several chronic conditions), and I just haven't felt up to it. So if someone with patience can explain this to me, I would be forever grateful.

At the moment I can access those files, so I'm not hurting for them, but I want the Linux defualt save/open location to be the same folder that it is in Windows, it just makes sense to do it that way instead of having two identical folders I have to keep synced, so I can always access my files.

I really do appreciate all the good people here willing to share their information with us newbies. YOU GUYS ROCK. Maybe I'll dance at your wedding one day, I would say name my firstborn after you, but I think he's gotten attached to the name he already has, and would not agree to do it.

You want to set your 'downloads' folder to be on the NTFS partition somewhere?

Search System Settings for 'location' to find the section where you can specify that.

I may be misunderstanding what you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by rk4262 View Post
      Is there an easy way to do this
      I've read your post carefully a few times, but I can't work out what it is you want to do, you don't seem to say.

I gather you want to put your files on the NTFS partition and access them from Linux. That shouldn't be a problem, you could just click on the volume in dolphin, and the volume will auto-mount, and dolphin will show you the files... Unless...

If you've got fast boot enabled in Windows, it doesn't really shut down and Linux will be shy about accessing NTFS volumes that Windows has open. So, disabling fast boot in Windows is a must if you haven't already. (It's a feature from the days of spinning rust and Windows was somewhat slow to boot.)

A couple of ideas:
      1. After clicking on the volume in dolphin, go to system settings, hardware section, removable storage, and tick the device to mount on login.
      2. Using two dolphin windows, drag folders from the NTFS volume to your home directory in Linux, and then click "Link here". Then Linux applications can access the folders through the links, rather than the path starting at /media.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay, I've been extremely sick. I did get it working for the most part. Again thank you. After rereading my OP, I did not say what I was trying to do, I must not have been feeling good that day. But both of you did figure it out. See I knew you were smart.
        Last edited by rk4262; Sep 05, 2021, 10:54 AM.

Comment

See I knew you were smart.

/me looks for said smart person
          Click image for larger version

Name:	bean-mr-bean.gif
Views:	1
Size:	742.0 KB
ID:	645207

Comment

I really hope I can one day figure out the command line, last time I forced myself to use it even when there was a GUI available, to try and learn, and will do that again, but my health has been bad (several chronic conditions), and I just haven't felt up to it.
            Hi there rk! I hope you're feeling better. Some of us are dealing with chronic illness, too, so if you ever need a shoulder, or just want to talk, we're here! Just post in one of the off-topic boards.

As for the command line, I personally LOVE it and feel most at home there. But I've used *nix since 1985! I just want to say that with today's GUI tools, if you don't want to use the command line, you really don't need to. With very few exceptions. I do things at the command line because I feel at home there, but if I had to, I could GUI all day long!

Your example of "Right click>properties>move folder>choose location>OK" is not only doable on Kubuntu, but much easier. Just open Dolphin in split-view mode, have your source directory in one pane and your destination directory in the other, and drag and drop! That's just one analogy--there are many. If you're ever unsure of how to do something with a GUI tool, or even if it can be done, just ask! Tell us what you're trying to accomplish and we'll explain how to do it. No CLI needed.
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
            X