X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shortcut behaves differently depending on how it is triggered

Running 20.04 fresh install.

I created a pair of shortcuts for computer Restart and Shutdown . I have them set up to fire with keyboard keyboard events. The restart works as expected in all circumstances. But the shutdown behaves differently depending on whether I fire it with a keyboard or a mouse click. If I use the mouse, it behaves as expected. When I use the keyboard, it does not. I have tried deleting and recreating it. I get the same result.

The reboot command fully shuts down the OS and triggers a full reboot, BIOS screen and all. It does not matter whether I click or keyboard, it behaves as expected.
    Code:
    qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.logout 0 1 3
    The shutdown command behaves as follows:
    mouse click event: power down computer.
    Keyboard event: computer remains under power, goes to OS log-in screen.
    Code:
    qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.logout 0 2 3
    What I want is for it to power down on both types of events.

This is exactly the same set up I had under 18.04 and 20.04 upgrade and it worked as expected.

What could be going on?

The keyboard shortcut set-up in 20.04 would get very flaky for me, and would stop behaving predictably. I found that once the flaky behaviour started, it was best to clear out all the shortcuts to return to predictability. I don't know if it's fixed now; I learned to leave it alone once it was working.

I suggest that you use the K menu editor to create your own menu, with your own options for restart and shutdown, and use the advanced tab there to set the shortcuts. That way if things get screwed up in the shortcut settings, and you reset them, or resort to clobbering the applicable settings file in frustration, they're still there.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Knock on ikea-wood, so far only this one shortcut is behaving oddly. I have many set up and the rest all work as expected.

I have been using Kmenu editor. I also learned that it automatically interfaces with the shortcuts menu in System Settings. I suspect this is where the problem lies because the first time I set up the shortcuts, either I did them both as restart, or the system over-rode my setting to make them both identical.

Either way I have deleted the shortcuts from the System Settings menu and they automatically re-appear next time I open it. When I try to delete it from there, I get the message:

Code:
      Component 'shutdown.desktop' is currently active. Only global shortcuts currently not active will be removed from the list.
      All global shortcuts will reregister themselves with their defaults when they are next started.
      This suggests to me that if I can mark the shortcut as 'inactive', delete it, then recreate it, the problem may resolve. Does anyone know how to do that?

Comment

Working...
      X