This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Chromium not respecting system cursor Breeze

Chromium is using a different set of cursors than other applications I have checked. They look like they came from MacOS from the early 90s.

I have seen this posted a bunch of times in different forums including this one and nothing seems to work. I have rebooted my system about ten times in the last two days - I have done every version of "turn it off and turn it back on again" I can think of.

I have read that this may be a problem with GTK application-appearance setting but can't find any such setting in Kubuntu. And it only happens in Chromium and only since I did a fresh from scratch re-install of 20.04. After I did the upgrade from 18.04 I had no such problems.

What can I do to force Chromium to respect my system settings?

[sorry for the huge image - had to use my iphone]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8947.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	649752
    Last edited by TwoFistedJustice; Jun 10, 2021, 11:50 AM.

I can't reproduce this on my system. Using the stock Breeze settings
    Note that CHromium is a snap, so it does use its own themes, but the default theme set included with this snap does include the breeze-gtk theme, and is supposed to include the correct cursors for breeze-gtk

I am going to suspect that the required snap gtk-common-themes was manually uninstalled or did not get installed as a dep of Chromium for some reason. This is not normal, as the theme set is a core dep for either Chromium snap itself, or of the gnome libraries snap it needs.

I discovered I can get Chromium to show this incorrect finger cursor if I uninstall the gtk-common-themes snap, so try installing that and see if it fixes the problem:
    $ snap list

will show what components you have installed, use that to see if gtk-common-themes is in the list. If not, then install it:
    snap install gtk-common-themes

If you have installed a custom cursor set for Plasma, then you may be sol

Now to get rid of all the faff and fuzz I just installed

Comment

Thanks Claydoh, that solved my problem!

I did a minimal install, not really understanding what it means in Linux. (In Windows where I came from, it's almost a necessity unless you want to get bloat-bombed)

Comment

The type of installation is unrelated to a Snap package (chromium) not installing a core dependency (not likely but probably not impossible), or that dependency being uninstalled

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X