• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Python failed to update, shows 'Broken' in Muon

Python failed to update via Updater.

How can I fix it?

Symptoms:

The password box pops up and immediately goes away then I receive a message "You have no authorization..."

In Muon, several python packages show up as "Broken"

The packages, status, and error message are as follows:

Code:
    libpython3.8 = Broken: 
    "The "libpython3.8" package could not be marked for installation or upgrade:
      Depends: libpython3.8 (=3.8.5-1~20.04.3), but 3.8.5-1~20.04.3 is to be installed"

libpython3.8-dev = Broken:
    "The "libpython3.8-dev" package could not be marked for installation or upgrade:
      Depends: libpython3.8-dev (=3.8.5-1~20.04.3), but 3.8.5-1~20.04.3 is to be installed"

libpython3.8-stdlib = Broken:
    "The "libpython3.8-stdlib" package could not be marked for installation or upgrade:"

just uninstall Python3 and any marked dependencies, then re-install it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I tried to uninstall Python3 via Muon and got the message
      Code:
      "This operation cannot continue since proper authorization was not provided".
      The password prompt did not appear.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoFistedJustice View Post
        I tried to uninstall Python3 via Muon and got the message
        Code:
        "This operation cannot continue since proper authorization was not provided".
        The password prompt did not appear.
        Then open a Konsole and enter
        sudo muon
        If muon doesn't start then capture the error msgs and post them here.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I was able to start muon via sudo muon

I tried to unistall Python3 but was unsuccessful. The error I got was

Code:
          /var/cache/apt/archives/libpython3.8-stdlib_3.8.5-1~20.04.3_amd64.deb
          unable to make backup link of './usr/lib/python3.8/lib-dynload/_testmultiphase.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so' before installing new version: Too many links

Comment

Update:
            After my last post I shut down my computer and walked away for a few hours. After restart, both Firefox and Muon appear to be GONE or at least inaccessible to me. I also cannot see Muon in Discover.

Any time I try to run any update I get told that I am not authorized.

And when I tried to install Muon from the web I got this error: (screenshot)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Muon Error.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	645162

Comment

I think it is possible that my system is going toast. If I can fix it, I will. But otherwise I think I'll probably end up re-installing the whole thing.

Comment

Fix Broken Install - Output

@GreyGeek, thank you for helping me.

In trying to get Muon back, it looks to me like Muon disappearing is a symptom of Python breaking.

I also believe Firefox's disappearance is due to a network error during update because I found the failed download listed in Chromium and I have really unreliable rural internet.

Code:
                [B]hoo@Ares:~$ sudo apt-get purge muon[/B]

[B][sudo] password for hoo:[/B]
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                Package 'muon' is not installed, so not removed
                You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
                The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                apt-xapian-index : Depends: python3-apt (>= 0.7.93.2) but it is not going to be 
                installed
                kubuntu-desktop : Depends: software-properties-qt but it is not going to be 
                installed
                             Recommends: firefox but it is not going to be installed
                             Recommends: konversation but it is not going to be installed
                             Recommends: muon but it is not going to be installed
                kubuntu-settings-desktop : Depends: software-properties-qt but it is not going 
                to be installed
                language-selector-common : Depends: python3-apt (>= 0.7.12.0) but it is not 
                going to be installed
                libpython3.8 : Depends: libpython3.8-stdlib (= 3.8.5-1~20.04.3) but 
                3.8.5-1~20.04.2 is to be installed
                libpython3.8-dev : Depends: libpython3.8-stdlib (= 3.8.5-1~20.04.3) but 
                libpython3.8-stdlib : Depends: libpython3.8-minimal (= 3.8.5-1~20.04.2) but 
                3.8.5-1~20.04.3 is to be installed
                python3-apport : Depends: python3-apt (>= 0.7.9) but it is not going to be 
                installed
                python3-commandnotfound : Depends: python3-apt but it is not going to be 
                installed
                python3-dev : Depends: python3-distutils (>= 3.8.2-1~) but it is not going to 
                be installed
                python3-distupgrade : Depends: python3-apt (>= 0.8.5~) but it is not going to 
                be installed
                python3-update-manager : Depends: python3-apt (>= 0.8.5~) but it is not going 
                to be installed
                python3.8 : Depends: libpython3.8-stdlib (= 3.8.5-1~20.04.3) but 
                ubuntu-drivers-common : Depends: python3-apt but it is not going to be 
                installed
                unattended-upgrades : Depends: python3-apt (>= 1.9.6~) but it is not going to 
                be installed
                E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or 
                specify a solution).

[B]hoo@Ares:~$ sudo apt --fix-broken install[/B]
                Building dependency tree       
                Correcting dependencies... Done
                The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
                python-pip-whl
                Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
                The following additional packages will be installed:
                libpython3.8-stdlib python3-apt python3-distutils python3-software-properties 
                software-properties-common software-properties-qt
                Suggested packages:
                python3-apt-dbg python-apt-doc
                The following NEW packages will be installed:
                python3-apt python3-distutils python3-software-properties 
                software-properties-common software-properties-qt
                The following packages will be upgraded:
                libpython3.8-stdlib
                1 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
                25 not fully installed or removed.
                Need to get 141 kB/2,027 kB of archives.
                After this operation, 2,663 kB of additional disk space will be used.
                Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
                Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 
                python3-distutils all 3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04 [141 kB]
                Fetched 141 kB in 1s (169 kB/s)            
                (Reading database ... 302593 files and directories currently installed.)
                Preparing to unpack .../0-libpython3.8-stdlib_3.8.5-1~20.04.3_amd64.deb ...
                Unpacking libpython3.8-stdlib:amd64 (3.8.5-1~20.04.3) over (3.8.5-1~20.04.2) ...
                dpkg: error processing archive 
                /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-d1Ilph/0-libpython3.8-stdlib_3.8.5-1~20.04.3_amd64.deb 
                (--unpack):
                unable to make backup link of 
                './usr/lib/python3.8/lib-dynload/_testmultiphase.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so' 
                before installing new version: Too many links
                dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
                Selecting previously unselected package python3-apt.
                Preparing to unpack .../1-python3-apt_2.0.0ubuntu0.20.04.5_amd64.deb ...
                Unpacking python3-apt (2.0.0ubuntu0.20.04.5) ...
                Selecting previously unselected package python3-distutils.
                Preparing to unpack .../2-python3-distutils_3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04_all.deb ...
                Unpacking python3-distutils (3.8.10-0ubuntu1~20.04) ...
                Selecting previously unselected package python3-software-properties.
                Preparing to unpack .../3-python3-software-properties_0.98.9.5_all.deb ...
                Unpacking python3-software-properties (0.98.9.5) ...
                Selecting previously unselected package software-properties-common.
                Preparing to unpack .../4-software-properties-common_0.98.9.5_all.deb ...
                Unpacking software-properties-common (0.98.9.5) ...
                Selecting previously unselected package software-properties-qt.
                Preparing to unpack .../5-software-properties-qt_0.98.9.5_all.deb ...
                Unpacking software-properties-qt (0.98.9.5) ...
                Errors were encountered while processing:
                /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-d1Ilph/0-libpython3.8-stdlib_3.8.5-1~20.04.3_amd64.deb
                E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

[B]hoo@Ares:~$ which python[/B]
                /usr/bin/python

[B]hoo@Ares:~$ which muon[/B]

[B]hoo@Ares:~$ sudo apt-get install muon[/B]
                Building dependency tree
                You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
                libpython3.8 : Depends: libpython3.8-stdlib (= 3.8.5-1~20.04.3) but 
                libpython3.8-dev : Depends: libpython3.8-stdlib (= 3.8.5-1~20.04.3) but 
                libpython3.8-stdlib : Depends: libpython3.8-minimal (= 3.8.5-1~20.04.2) but 
                3.8.5-1~20.04.3 is to be installed
                python3.8 : Depends: libpython3.8-stdlib (= 3.8.5-1~20.04.3) but 
                E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or 
                specify a solution).

[B]hoo@Ares:~$ which muon[/B]

[B]hoo@Ares:~$ sudo apt --fix-broken install[/B]
                Building dependency tree
                Correcting dependencies... Done
                The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
                python-pip-whl
                Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
                The following additional packages will be installed:
                libpython3.8-stdlib
                The following packages will be upgraded:
                libpython3.8-stdlib
                1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
                30 not fully installed or removed.
                Need to get 0 B/1,671 kB of archives.
                After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
                Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
                (Reading database ... 302790 files and directories currently installed.)
                Preparing to unpack .../libpython3.8-stdlib_3.8.5-1~20.04.3_amd64.deb ...
                Unpacking libpython3.8-stdlib:amd64 (3.8.5-1~20.04.3) over (3.8.5-1~20.04.2) ...
                dpkg: error processing archive 
                (--unpack):
                unable to make backup link of 
                './usr/lib/python3.8/lib-dynload/_testmultiphase.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so' 
                before installing new version: Too many links
                dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
                Errors were encountered while processing:
                E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Comment

have you run apt update at all to refresh your package database? it seems to be looking for the previous version

Code:
                  libpython3.8 : Depends: libpython3.8-stdlib (= 3.8.5-1~20.0[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]4[COLOR=#ff0000][B].3[/B][/COLOR]) but 
                  3.8.5-1~20.0[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]4[COLOR=#ff0000][B].2[/B][/COLOR] is to be installed
                  Either that or some weird bit is hard coded to dep on a specific version

Code:
                  [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]$ apt policy libpython3.8-stdlib [/COLOR]
                  libpython3.8-stdlib: 
                    Installed: 3.8.5-1~20.04.3 
                    Candidate: 3.8.5-1~20.04.3 
                    Version table: 
                   *** 3.8.5-1~20.04.3 500 
                          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security/main amd64 Packages 
                          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages 
                          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status 
                       3.8.2-1ubuntu1 500 
                          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    have you run apt update at all to refresh your package database? it seems to be looking for the previous version
                    Just tried that to no avail. I am moving forward with the nuclear option.

Comment

In the end I just did what y'all told me to do before I even upgraded 18.04 to 20.04, I wiped my system and did a fresh install of 20.04.

Python's FIXED!

Comment

Working...
                      X