This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No memtest preinstalled

My PC restarts when i play agame or start a GPU benchmark, which leads me to believe my PSU is faulty, as Linux doesnt have an automatic reboot functionality, as i undestand, or is this wrong?

Some googling suggest it might also be a RAM issue so i found memtest is supposed to be preinstalled on ubuntu, but when i hit esc while booting, i only get ubuntu and advanced, or system firmware in the grub menu. No memetest.

Is my installation faulty or is it not included in Kubuntu?

Memtest should be installed.
    Hold the Shift key down till the grub menu shows.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The old memtest86 is a BIOS programme and can't be run if the computer boots using UEFI.
      To run it I suggest getting a utility iso that has memtest86 (systemrescuecd did in the past), writing it to a USB stick, and persuading the computer to boot it in BIOS mode. (How you do that depends on the motherboard.)

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
      Regards, John Little

Comment

https://askubuntu.com/questions/9179...-im-using-uefi

The old Memtest86+ is 16 bit and does not run on efi systems. You should be able to run it from a live usb if you can boot the system in Legacy mode, or as mentioned, the non-free version that works in modern systems can be installed, and a boot menu created.

https://www.memtest86.com/tech_configuring-grub.html

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          The old memtest86 is a BIOS programme and can't be run if the computer boots using UEFI.
          To run it I suggest getting a utility iso that has memtest86 (systemrescuecd did in the past), writing it to a USB stick, and persuading the computer to boot it in BIOS mode. (How you do that depends on the motherboard.)

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
          It seems that SystemRescueCD does include it, their website links to the memetest86 website.
          That probably is the easiest method, for sure.

Comment

I haven't used Memtest86 since I can't remember when.
            However, when I reboot the computer and hold the left Shift key down until the grub menu display there are TWO memtest lines displayed.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	grub_boot_screen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	645102
            (My second png showing the test screen in action wouldn't upload to the forum )

I selected the first and it immediately began testing ... for about a second. Then the clock stopped counting.
            I rebooted and tried the "Type2" test. It continued testing until I hit the power button after 2 or 3 minutes, and I rebooted to get back into my system.
            I have no idea as to how long Type2 would have continued to run. I did observe that none of the keys (esc, sp, enter) would work, hence the need to use the power button to stop it and return to my system.
            Thanks for the heads-up, Claydoh, it looks like I have something to do tomorrow!
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 29, 2021, 06:18 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              https://askubuntu.com/questions/9179...-im-using-uefi

The old Memtest86+ is 16 bit and does not run on efi systems. You should be able to run it from a live usb if you can boot the system in Legacy mode, or as mentioned, the non-free version that works in modern systems can be installed, and a boot menu created.

https://www.memtest86.com/tech_configuring-grub.html
              I don't have an EFI system and only the Type2 test would run. After you hit enter on the 2nd line in the grub menu the memory test screen is displayed and you have only a couple seconds to hit the down ky to move to Type2. Even then, the three keys (esc, sp, enter) would not respond so I had to regain control by using the power button.

EDIT: My laptopis 9 years old. It does not use EFI. I went to memtest.org and downloaded the memtest86+ (mt531b.zip), which was an iso file. I burned it to a USB stick using dd. It wouldn't boot. I redid the download and burned it using mkusb. It still wouldn't boot.
              More investigating to do. Thankfully, I haven't needed to run a memtest since I replaced the 4GB with 16GB RAM, about 3 or 4 years ago.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 29, 2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X