This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] dconf-service uses 11GB of memory

Hi all, my first post here, apologies if not making sense...

I have been running Kubuntu 20.04 for a few months, yesterday after an update, I turned the laptop off and this morning soon after restart it become unresponsive.
    The fan was running high and System monitor showed me that the CPU was max at 100%, dconf-service, woopsie were using most of the memory.

From this tablet, I googled askubuntu and found several thread about woopsie and I ended up purging it, however that only freed up some space for dconf-service to gobble up.
    I turned the laptop off and on several times, but nothing changes. ATM only System monitor is running and dconf-service is using 11.5GB of RAM, the system is nearly unresponsive, Firefox or Chrome will not start.
    I have a pic of System Monitor, but I don't know how to post it here...
    Hope someone can help me.

Dconf is a gnome desktop settings thing. are you running both a full Ubuntu and Kubuntu desktop install? Say, via installing ubuntu-gnome-desktop or something similar? Or perhaps a gnome specific application or service is sucking up the resources by calling dconf

maybe try stopping the service:

systemctl stop dconf

(or maybe dconf-service? I can't seem to find out for sure.)

Comment

No, I did use Ubuntu for a few years, but this was a fresh install of Kubuntu 20.04 on a reformatted HDD.

I did stop the service, but the computer was still unresponsive.
      I had to force the shutdown.

Comment

I have no idea why a KDE system even needs dconf-service,

Oops:
        Actually, at the minimum it probably is needed for gtk theme support/integration.

Comment

I gave up on this problem,
          I did a fresh install of K20.10 and created some other problems, about which I will open a new thread.
          Thank you for all your answers here.

Comment

Working...
          X