Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fed up. Random lockups are back with a vengeance.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory testings is an option in the grub menu:

Code:
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
    menuentry '[B]Memory test (memtest86+)[/B]' {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod btrfs
        set root='hd0,msdos1'
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  ce2b5741-c01e-4b3d-b6ba-401ad7f7fcdf
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root ce2b5741-c01e-4b3d-b6ba-401ad7f7fcdf
        fi
        knetbsd    /@/boot/memtest86+.elf
    }
    menuentry '[B]Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200[/B])' {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod btrfs
        set root='hd0,msdos1'
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  ce2b5741-c01e-4b3d-b6ba-401ad7f7fcdf
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root ce2b5741-c01e-4b3d-b6ba-401ad7f7fcdf
        fi
        linux16    /@/boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
    }
    And, the ELF binary executables are under /boot :
    Code:
    ~$ vdir /boot/mem*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 182704 Aug 18  2020 /boot/memtest86+.bin
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 184380 Aug 18  2020 /boot/memtest86+.elf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 184884 Aug 18  2020 /boot/memtest86+_multiboot.bin
    Is there some reason why you can't use it?

I haven't used the grub memory test in years, but when I did run it all I had to do was start and and let it run for as long as I wanted. I let it run over night. You might want to let it run longer.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 22, 2021, 08:09 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG, please see this reply in this thread as to why GRUB isn't an option.

I was hoping that memtester would be able to provide relevant information to narrow down this annoying locking-up problem. (I'm afraid to say this out loud, but it hasn't happened lately! From the point I dumped QtCurve, it's only happened once. I stared at the screen when it happened, and made note that KCalc was running [in addition to my normal stuff] at the time.)
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
        GG, please see this reply in this thread as to why GRUB isn't an option.

I was hoping that memtester would be able to provide relevant information to narrow down this annoying locking-up problem. (I'm afraid to say this out loud, but it hasn't happened lately! From the point I dumped QtCurve, it's only happened once. I stared at the screen when it happened, and made note that KCalc was running [in addition to my normal stuff] at the time.)
        Interesting. Your System76 reference requires that you boot from a LiveCD and use its memtest86+ option in its Grub menu to test the RAM:
        Memory

To run a memory test on your computer, we need to use a live disk with Ubuntu. We also need to change the BIOS settings from UEFI mode to BIOS mode. If you press the key indicated on boot to get into BIOS (F2 for laptops, and DEL for most desktops), there will be a toggle between the two modes.

Once you switch to BIOS mode, restart, and use the key to boot from other drives (F7 for laptops, and F12 for most desktops) to select the USB. Right after you select the USB for boot, start tapping the ESC key to get into the GRUB boot menu. If you accidentally get to a GRUB command prompt, type in the word normal, press Enter, then immediately press ESC. Grub is available for only a second, so if you miss the opportunity, turn your computer off and try again.

In the grub boot menu, choose Memory test (memtest86+). Right as memtest loads (blue screen), press F2 to enable multi-core mode. Wait at least 20 minutes for the tests to run, or until any errors are shown in red. If any errors are found, please run it again in single core mode, and let it run overnight to check for any memory errors. 6 to 8 passes are minimally recommended. If memory errors show up, the memory stick should be replaced.
        When I've used memtest86+ I always let it run over night on the entire memory stack.

I didn't see that post your linked to about System76 and when I looked at it this time and checked out your links and what they imply I was stunned.

The Boot Default screen:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	homepage.png
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	645063
        What stunned me was the phrase "QEMU Standard PC ..."
        In trying to determine what that meant I found this in WIkipedia

System emulation
        In this mode QEMU emulates a full computer system, including peripherals. It can be used to provide virtual hosting of several virtual computers on a single computer. QEMU can boot many guest operating systems, including Linux, Solaris, Microsoft Windows, DOS, and BSD;[6] it supports emulating several instruction sets, including x86, MIPS, 32-bit ARMv7, ARMv8, PowerPC, SPARC, ETRAX CRIS and MicroBlaze.
        I learned something new today: this is just one of the many powers that QEMU has, besides acting as hardware for the KVM.

Now I am wondering if it is possible to install another ISO onto a System76 laptop and overwrite or bypass Quick EMUlation? I doubt it.

The System76 BIOS doesn't give many options and what I've learned in researching this makes me question choosing a laptop from System76.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 24, 2021, 03:16 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

GG, I got scared off by the System76 info! The parts about needing a live disk (why?! why can't this be done on its own?), but mostly the part about mucking with the BIOS mode. You're aware of how...wrong things have gone for me with this laptop...I just don't want to take ANY chances on further screwing it up!
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I can understand why! It has scared me off from ever buying a System76 PC.

Booting with QEMU means it is acting as a hardware interface layer between the actual hardware and the Linux kernel. It takes the place of libc6+ which interfaces between the hardware layer and the Linux kernel in a normal x86_64 setup. It also means that no amount of upgrading from the Kubuntu repository will ever fix a System76 QEMU problem. The qemu-system-x86 package in the repository isn't to upgrade the QEMU that the System76 uses. Normally, in Kubuntu, QEMU emulates a full system, including a processor and various peripherals and backends the KVM.

It appears that to run a qemu-kvm VM there is a special procedure, which appears to change from LTS to LTS.

My son owns a System76 Gazelle (I think it is about 6-8 years old) and I installed Kubuntu 20.04 on it. It runs beautifully, and its on top of BTRFS. Now, I'm hoping that it doesn't develop the kind of trouble that you are having.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 24, 2021, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I hope your son's Gazelle doesn't too, GG. This is my second System76 laptop, and I had no hesitation whatsoever about buying it. In fact, I really was so focused on S76 that I didn't seriously consider anything else. But, damn!, what a difference from the old one to the new one.

My old one was six years old, and had run essentially problem-free all that time. It did need a new keyboard 2-3 years ago, which I did myself (my first time inside a laptop for anything other than a hard drive--it was fun!). I want to believe that S76 is not at fault, i.e., that the computer isn't actually a lemon, but at this point, I just don't know.

But, yes, their method of memory testing leaves MUCH to be desired. I had no idea how convoluted it was, nor did I know the details which you've explained so well. I don't want to say this will stop me from buying another S76, but it will give me pause.

I've been intending to buy a Meerkat, which is technically a desktop, but I'd use as a server. I'm kind of glad now that I've been farting around so long I haven't ordered it yet!

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                ... The parts about needing a live disk (why?! why can't this be done on its own?)...
                Unfree software. The original memtest86 was free but was a 32 bit BIOS programme, and with the UEFI version it became encumbered with restrictions. Having booted a computer in UEFI mode, BIOS programmes can't run, hence the live disk and boot settings.

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  Unfree software. The original memtest86 was free but was a 32 bit BIOS programme, and with the UEFI version it became encumbered with restrictions. Having booted a computer in UEFI mode, BIOS programmes can't run, hence the live disk and boot settings.
                  Ah ha! Thanks for that--I don't think that would've ever occurred to me.

Comment

jlittle, my thanks also for that explanation about BIOS vs UEFI. I have missed it in my research.
                    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                      jlittle, my thanks also for that explanation about BIOS vs UEFI. I have missed it in my research.
                      https://learnlinuxandlibreoffice.org...ft-kill-switch
                      Lack of Choice is a Lack of Freedom
                      The worst part of the UEFI Kill Switch is that we are not even being given a choice of whether to accept UEFI or not. This is because nearly all computers are being switched over to the UEFI start program. As of today, the only computers that use Coreboot instead of UEFI are Google Chromebooks and the Librem 14 by Purism. Microsoft is once again using its monopoly power to force all other computer manufacturers to use UEFI. Even Apple computers only come with UEFI installed. So today, we are all being forced to pay for an extremely dangerous UEFI system.

Option #4: If you want to buy a new computer, and you are on a limited budget, buy a Google Chrome Book
                      All Chromebooks comes with Coreboot and a stripped down Linux operating system called Chrome. It takes a couple hours to switch this to a full Linux Mint system ? a process we describe in a later chapter.

So, a Chromebook with Linux installed over it, or,

Spec'd out this Purism Mini for $1,482.
                      https://shop.puri.sm/shop/librem-mini/

Processor: Intel Core i7-10510U (Comet Lake), Active (fan) Cooling, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, up to 4.9GHz
                      Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620
                      Memory: 16GB, DDR4-2400, 2 SO-DIMM 1.2V DDR4 L2133/2400MHz
                      Storage: 1 SATA III 6Gbps SSD (7mm), 1 M.2 SSD (SATA III/NVMe x4)
                      Video: 1 HDMI 2.0 4K@60Hz, 1 DisplayPort 1.2 4K@60Hz
                      Display: 24 inch (can handle 2 displays)
                      USB Ports: 4 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB Type C 3.1
                      Audio: 3.5mm AudioJack (Mic-in & Headphone-out combo)
                      Networking: 1 RJ45 (Gigabit Ethernet LAN), with WiFi Atheros ATH9k Module, 802.11n (2.4/5.0 GHz)
                      Bluetooth: Ar3k Bluetooth 4.0 (optional)
                      Power: 1 Powerbutton, DC-IN Jack, with US power plug
                      Keyboard and Mouse: kit
                      Dimension: 5.0″ x 5.0″ x 1.5″ (12.8 cm x 12.8 cm x 3.8 cm)
                      Weight: 2.2 lbs (1 kg)
                      Warranty: 1 year

Slim pickings, but I could live with the Purism Mini
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 25, 2021, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Given those two choices, I'd go with Purism too.
                        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          So, a Chromebook with Linux installed over it, or,

Spec'd out this Purism Mini for $1,482.
                          https://shop.puri.sm/shop/librem-mini/

Processor: Intel Core i7-10510U (Comet Lake), Active (fan) Cooling, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, up to 4.9GHz
                          Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620
                          Memory: 16GB, DDR4-2400, 2 SO-DIMM 1.2V DDR4 L2133/2400MHz
                          Storage: 1 SATA III 6Gbps SSD (7mm), 1 M.2 SSD (SATA III/NVMe x4)
                          Video: 1 HDMI 2.0 4K@60Hz, 1 DisplayPort 1.2 4K@60Hz
                          Display: 24 inch (can handle 2 displays)
                          USB Ports: 4 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB Type C 3.1
                          Audio: 3.5mm AudioJack (Mic-in & Headphone-out combo)
                          Networking: 1 RJ45 (Gigabit Ethernet LAN), with WiFi Atheros ATH9k Module, 802.11n (2.4/5.0 GHz)
                          Bluetooth: Ar3k Bluetooth 4.0 (optional)
                          Power: 1 Powerbutton, DC-IN Jack, with US power plug
                          Keyboard and Mouse: kit
                          Dimension: 5.0″ x 5.0″ x 1.5″ (12.8 cm x 12.8 cm x 3.8 cm)
                          Weight: 2.2 lbs (1 kg)
                          Warranty: 1 year

Slim pickings, but I could live with the Purism Mini
                          Several years ago, before I got sick, I wanted a small, easy to carry laptop to use on my patio. I bought an Acer Chromebook. I don't remember its cost, but it was well under a thousand dollars. I was curious to see Google's idea of Linux on a laptop. But I had the foresight to order it with a big hard drive installed.

I no longer recall the actual details, so I'll simply say I used it, as is, for about . . . . . this long. That gave me all I needed to be sure I wanted no part of cloud-only computing!

Back then, unlike now, Chromebooks did not give you a straightforward method of installing a different Linux on them--I did it the brute force way. I got Kubuntu up and running and was once again in familiar territory! I installed my usual, go-to programs, stored everything on its local drive (and networked drive backups), and left it out on the patio for use while I was outside all day.

I've had no reason/desire to fire it up since then, but while I was using it, it was great. It was a small version of a regular Linux laptop, very portable, very easy to tuck away at night, and--most importantly--it functioned the way *I* do computing. I'm sure cloud-only devices have their place, but what if your electricity goes out? and your Internet connection? All your data, all your programs, all your work, inaccessible. That's not for me. *shrug*

Comment

The primary reason to buy a Chromebook would be to avoid EUFI's backdoor and Golden Key. After the purchase the plan is always to burn Kubuntu to the metal. I prefer a 17" screen or larger because of my eyesight. The Purism mini allows a large LCD to be plugged in. The mini I spec'd included a 24" display. But, IF this Acer continues to run Kubuntu and doesn't wear out I probably won't be buying another computer.

Comment

I'd take a Chromebook over either a System 76 or a Purism. And, I'd take a used, recent, T series Lenovo over a Chromebook - anytime.

But, even better, I have my HP Envy that was given to me by those who care. The next day I pulled out the m.2 drive with Windows and replaced it with another, and installed Kubuntu on it. No sweat and no distractions.
                              The next brick house on the left
                              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                                The primary reason to buy a Chromebook would be to avoid EUFI's backdoor and Golden Key. After the purchase the plan is always to burn Kubuntu to the metal. I prefer a 17" screen or larger because of my eyesight. The Purism mini allows a large LCD to be plugged in. The mini I spec'd included a 24" display. But, IF this Acer continues to run Kubuntu and doesn't wear out I probably won't be buying another computer.
                                Yes, GG, I'm right there with you--I prefer 17" and up when it comes to laptop screens now. The little Acer Chromebook I bought before I got sick, was perfectly usable--at the time. Unfortunately, my eyes got badly damaged when I nearly died from sepsis, as did every other cell/organ in my body. Using a tiny screen just doesn't work any more.

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                                I'd take a Chromebook over either a System 76 or a Purism.
                                Really. May I ask why you feel that way? I'm not familiar with Purism at all, but I am with System76. For me, I can't imagine a Chromebook being better than a S76 laptop.

But, even better, I have my HP Envy that was given to me by those who care. The next day I pulled out the m.2 drive with Windows and replaced it with another, and installed Kubuntu on it. No sweat and no distractions.
                                Nice! HP was my go-to brand for desktops and laptops for decades. I always resented having to pay the 'micro$oft tax' when buying them, though, since the FIRST thing I did upon receipt was wipe window$ off their drives. Now, we actually have numerous brands to pick from that ship with Linux pre-installed...although we still have to install Kubuntu ourselves. Well, unless we buy Kubuntu's Focus, with its little screen.

Comment

Working...
                                X