X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kbuntu 20.04.1 to 20.04.2 update

Hello,
    I installed Kubuntu 20.04.1 some months ago on my laptop, then I updated my system regularly.

I now read at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
    and at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/R...Ubuntu_Desktop
    that an Ubuntu Desktop installation of 20.04 will propose the update to the new HWE (including kernel 5.8) by deafult, rather than as an opt-in like in the past.

However I now see that my system is still using kernel 5.4.0, while being 20.04.2 already:

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54ff54][B]mauro@hppb[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~ $[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] uname -a [/COLOR]
    Linux hppb 5.4.0-65-generic #73-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 18 17:25:17 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux 
    [COLOR=#54ff54][B]mauro@hppb[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#5454ff][B]~ $[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] lsb_release -a [/COLOR]
    No LSB modules are available. 
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu 
    Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS 
    Release:        20.04 
    Codename:       focal[/FONT]
    No upgrade to kernel 5.8 was proposed or even notified by Discover. So, is Kubuntu 20.04.2+ update policy different (with regards to HWE stack) from the main Ubuntu one?

There will be no difference between Kubuntu and Ubuntu here, not sure why it hasn't updated the kernel. Though the release of the new updated install image does not mean that they have flipped the switch on the 5.8 kernel for current installs just yet.
    That is not unusual, based on past LTS kernel bumps.

Comment

Yes, I also thought that perhaps the new HWE update for current installs could have been just a little postponed, what surprises me, however, is that I didn't read anything about this from Canonical or Kubuntu devs and, reading on the net, it seems like someone already received the new HWE update on main Ubuntu...

Let's wait and see...

Comment

As a recent Kubuntu adopter, I found that announcement confusing as well. I was a bit hasty in my reply here, but I can't figure out how to delete a post, so I'll just leave it.
        Last edited by Fred47; Feb 05, 2021, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X