No keyboard, no network, no audio after installation of kubuntu 20.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No keyboard, no network, no audio after installation of kubuntu 20.04

I have been using Kubuntu since about 2008 I think, but now something really weird has happened.

This summer I upgraded my old installation of Kubuntu 16.04 to 20.04. No problem, everything worked perfect! I think I did it by complete reinstall rather than upgrade, but I'm not completely sure.

Anyway, last week my very old boot drive (SSD) got some error and the system wouldn't boot even after fsck. I bought a new SSD drive, and also a CPU fan since the old was starting to be noisy.

I installed the CPU fan, which required me to remove the motherboard since the connectors were of a different type of what I had before. I'm always a bit nervous when doing that kind of thing, but it seemed to work fine. I installed the drive and installed Kubuntu 20.04 from the same flash memory as I used previously during the summer.

After rebooting the system, Kubuntu started up but I got stuck at the login prompt as the keyboard did not work. After a while I managed to login using a virtual on-screen keyboard, and noticed that the network did not work, and I don't think the audio worked either as it was a disabled symbol over the speaker icon in the system tray (didn't investigate that further).

After some investigation I found out that:
    • If I connected yet another keyboard I could use that, but I couldn't get my main keyboard to work regardless of which USB port I used.
    • The keyboard and network worked fine during the install, and they also worked if I selected "Try Kubuntu" instead if install. I also tried booting another live CD (Slax) and that also worked fine.

I tried to change various things in the BIOS just in case. I have tried all combinations of UEFI/Legacy and Secure boot Enabled/Disabled, but it is always the exact same problem.

I also tried to burn a new DVD with Kubuntu 20.04.1 and tried multiple times to install from that, but always the same problem.

Finally I tried to install Ubuntu 20.04 instead, and that worked perfectly after the install. No problem with the keyboard, network or audio at all.

As a next step I installed KDE in this ubuntu installation, and got to select between SDDM and GDM (I think?). I selected SDDM. After reboot everything still worked fine, except that when SDDM starts it puts a virtual keyboard all over one of my screens which perhaps indicates that it somehow don't think that I have a HW keyboard attached? But anyway, my HW keyboard still works, so it is not a big deal.

So after lots of trial and error and frustration, I have more or less configured my system as it was before the HW crash.

But does anyone have an idea of what has happened? Anyone have the same problem?

Did I somehow damage my motherboard or something when I installed the CPU fan? I think it is unlikely as my system seem to be stable and work work just fine except when I use kubuntu, right? But something strange is going on...

Some system info: Stationary computer using AMD FX-8320 on a Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard.

This is weird when all works in live mode and even weirder that all works when you first install Ubuntu and then KDE.
    I don't have a clue...

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      This is weird when all works in live mode and even weirder that all works when you first install Ubuntu and then KDE.
      I don't have a clue...
      Yes, I know, it is extremely weird, but thanks for answering anyway. Everything has been stable since my post and I have not done anything more to try to find out what is wrong. Maybe there is some HW issue here, but I don't know and now it works well enough that I don't want to play around with it to much.

Comment

The problem is likely with the way the HW recognition during the installation works and there is a good chance it will work again with the next version (20.04.2)

Comment

ok, hope so!

Comment

I have been living with this situation since I wrote my original message, and things have been working pretty OK. When I tried to log in to my computer yesterday the problem was back just like it was after the kubuntu installation. No keyboard, no network, no audio!

I do not know exactly what was changed, but I think I applied some updates before I turned off the computer some days before. This was not exactly what I wanted to struggle with now again! :-(

But at least I guess that I will get the chance to see if kubuntu 20.04.2 will fix anything.

Comment

Updating from a previous LTS to the new LST is problematic. It is ALWAYS much better to do a fresh install and re-install your apps and bring your data from a backup. That you've done hardware fixes & changes doesn't bode well either. At this point your hardware is suspect and until you can verify it blaming software is premature.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It was a clean install on a completely new harddrive.

And yes, things are weird enough that I also keep the HW among the suspects, but it is a very strange HW error as things work perfect when booting from a live CD and during installation, but not after installation has finished.

Comment

Finally some kind of clue to why this happened to me. My problems returned when I upgraded the linux kernel from linux-image-5.8.0-59-generic to linux-image-5.11.0-22-generic. If I select linux-image-5.8.0-59-generic from the grub boot menu, things work again.

Comment

Working...
                  X