This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot stuck at- finished set console scheme

I am using raspberry pi 4 4gb ram. I installed ubuntu server 20.04 on it it worked fine. On that i install kubuntu-desktop. It downloaded completely, installed all components and then after 5 min i rebooted it. The boot is stuck at output.

Starting set console scheme.
    Finished terminate plymouth boot screen.
    Started LSB: automatic crash report generation.
    Finished set console scheme.
    Please see image for complete console output.

Please reply. Thanks.

I wish I could be more help, as I never did get a Rpi4 to play with. Been a long time since I have used Plasma on Arm.
    But whatever is on the screen may not reflect the actual part that has caused the freeze/crash, as ,many things are run in parallel during boot.
    The things you see at the end are normal services being started, I believe.

If you are still in the tinkering stage, I might suggest instead of using the kubuntu-desktop metapackage to add Plasma to Ubuntu Server, to try the more minimal kde-plasma-desktop, which may leave out much of the full desktop selection of boot time services and the like that may be getting in the way here. It may also leave off a login manager (sddm) so plasma may need to be started manually at first until one is installed.

Comment

Also i want to know does this crashdb.conf file show some bug or is it normal

Comment

Also i didn't get it what mean by: more minimal kde-plasma-desktop and line following it.

Comment

Originally posted by uvuv0 View Post
          Also i want to know does this crashdb.conf file show some bug or is it normal
          What is this from?
          This is the config file for the system that reports crashes, not a crash report or anything like that. Not relevant to anything here.

When you installed 'kubuntu-desktop" you installed all the full bells and whistles of a full desktop distro, including all the extra software, services and things that run in the background. You may not need many to most of these, particularly on something like the Pi.
          Installing a different packageset would have less things sapping the meager resources, and fewer things trying to load during boot. Maybe this will aid in getting it to boot? With the lack of overall cpu power as well as the usually terrible read/write speeds of sd cards, every little bit helps. Especially as Kubuntu is not really optimized for arm, unlike the new Ubuntu 20.10 Desktop rpi4-specific images.

Comment

How to manually start sddm and kde-plasma-desktop.
            systemd is broken when i boot each time and try to start manually it says systemctl: command not found.
            I have to reinstall systemd then systemctl starts but for
            systemctl start sddm
            Screen blinks and again to terminal.

Comment

First, did you do a sha256sum check on the downloaded ISO before you attempted to install it?
              IF you did, have you scanned your storage device for bad sectors?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Try starting plasma manually, skipping sddm for now:

Code:
                startplasma-x11
                At the very least you will get error messages to research.

Comment

Well raspberry pi have software to install os it verifies before install.

Comment

Code:
                    startplasma-x11
                    Gives

Code:
                    DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to x server
                    Code:
                    startx
                    Give
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210117_113402.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	645011

Comment

Any progress in what happened here. Just got exact same screen crash, same point on a RPI 4.0 but with Ubuntu 20.10.1 Stuck in that "finished at" line. And happens after installing the minimal kde-plasma-desktop and reset.

Comment

Working...
                      X