This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Sudden random lockups

I'm posting this using Firefox, logged in as root, because something's up with my account. It started last night, after I'd put the laptop down for the night. I tried to access it with my file manager on my phone, but couldn't; ditto for KDE Connect. So I got up and looked at it--it had locked up and nothing brought it back to life, so I hard-rebooted it. Okay, a fluke, I thought.

Nope. In the past hour, I've had three frozen-like-Antarctica lockups! Nothing worked but hard rebooting.

Each time, I was running the same four apps: Konsole, Dolphin, and SeaMonkey's browser and e-mail client. I was on my usual sites in SM's tabs.

I tailed my .xsession-errors file(s) and saw some things that looked peculiar to me, but I really didn't know what I was looking for.

I don't expect anyone to remember, given the copious amount of posting I did about problems with my new laptop, but at one point this was happening before, too. But that was during the time when everything that could go wrong did. Since then, it's been running as smooth as Silk Almondmilk! Since the problem isn't happening while logged in as a different user, I'm assuming there's something sketchy in my account--but I don't know what, or where to look.

FWIW, both yesterday and today, Discover notified me that there were updates available; looking through them, they were definitely system-related items, not applications. I let them rip. The timing seems oddly coincidental.

Ideas? What can I check? If posting output from anything would help, let me know. I have not installed anything new in a couple of weeks, so the system updates are the only new things on it. It's a System76 Gazelle laptop, <2 months old.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

...and I'm now posting as a new, regular user, without issues. Tried my normal account...FROZE! So I'm picking and choosing what to copy from the bad account to the new one, then I'll do a little command line magic to make the new one my normal one... So never mind!

ETA: Just for future reference, when a problem like this happens, what should a person look for? Which log files, which...whatever? I remember this happening at one point on my old System76 laptop, but couldn't try to figure out why.

And an addition to my OP: I said there was nothing new on it, but I meant software--I forgot about hardware. I've added an external, USB drive; I believe that was on Sunday--the lockups didn't start until Tuesday night.
    Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Dec 09, 2020, 05:26 PM.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

So, have you located the lockup culprit yet?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

No, GG, I haven't--and I'm logged in with my real account. It's been up without issue since early yesterday evening. I don't know what to make of it. I wish I knew what to look for!

Comment

I know this is long closed, but...

I'm 99% sure what the culprit is was: SeaMonkey. But not SM, per se. SM when certain sites are open in its tabs. Which certain sites vary.

Bottom line: I've now been up for 8 days with no lockups, using my real account. Each time I discovered a site causing the problem, I moved using it to Firefox; there, for whatever reason, it doesn't cause a lockup.

This has nothing to do with anything, but I just want to say that I'm AMAZED at how fast this laptop is! From the time I click an icon to the time the program opens, doesn't even take long enough to blink. It's amazing. I love it.

Comment

Working...
          X