This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] After removing media press Enter

Hi I'm new to Kubuntu. I got to the end of installing I removed the usb drive and pressed Enter. Nothing is happening after more than 3 hours. Just a prt lit screen.
    Should I power off and restart? Please help

You are safe to power off. The install completed before the reboot, so nothing should be damaged, if the desktop shut down, and you got to the 'hit enter' prompt.

Comment

Welcome to both Kubuntu and Kubuntu Forums, Gasman!

As @claydoh said, you should be fine powering it off and on. The wait time after it says to press [enter] until it reboots, in my experience, is like 2-3 SECONDS, not hours! So I think something got hung up somewhere... But if you boot it up and everything looks okay, then just chalk it up to it being a little hiccup.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I've had that situation, too. Just shut it down, count to 10, and power it back up. Everything should be there. If you see something that doesn't look right, come on back, we can help you figure it out.

The "count to 10" is fairly important, most of the time. It gives the electrical systems time to actually lose energy. The 10 count may be longer than most modern systems actually require, but it doesn't hurt, either.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Hi Thanks for the help. I powered off but now it won't boot up with message " System bootorder not found .initializing defaults." The laptop is a 2012 macbook pro. I installed on the entire disk because I no longer wanted OSX. I've been looking online but it's a bit confusing as most of the answers seem to be for PC not Mac. Help much appreciated thanks

Comment

Macs have bootloader and other differences from PC stuff, so some extra steps may be needed.

Poking around search results for 'ubuntu 20.04 macbook pro 2012' and starting from there, and then looking for results concerning bootloaders, I found this
            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro11-1/Saucy

It is of course a bit old now, but as the hardware is still the same, the process may be similar, particularly using efibootmgr to set the boot option.
            Particularly step #5. You should be able to boot to the usb again, selecting the "try kubuntu" option, and following the instruction to fix the bootloader, and reboot.
            The rest of the page concerning hardware support is probably outdated, but may still be useful.

If you did not use the option key to boot the USB, selecting EFI mode, it is possible that you might have to reinstall, or figure out how to use the live usb to install/reinstall the EFI bootloader stuff, but I am not at all sure about this at all.

Similar instructions:
            https://enotacoes.wordpress.com/2016...-61-late-2013/

disclaimer: I have zero physical experience with macbooks. Or non-physical, for that matter.

Comment

Thanks claydoh I'll have a go tomorrow.

Comment

First problem. After reinstalling several times laptop still doesn't restart. Second problem. After powering off then starting up, I get message "finished terminate Plymouth boot screen". Third problem. Keyboard not working so I can't do anything pst that message. I wish I'd never attempted to try Kubuntu it's not ready for release. Any ideas how to fix it please before I throw the laptop away?

Comment

Most Mac laptops seem to require at least some extra work getting their hardware supported, or to even install properly. The specific distro doesn't seem to matter.

Unless someone here has first hand knowledge with Apple computers that they can relay, it probably will take some extra research.

It is easy to blame the OS, but really Apple simply makes things difficult, on purpose.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X