This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Not all QtCurve attributes are honored

I'm using QtCurve as my "Application Style," and I've highly customized it. (If you've never tried it, you should! It has pages and pages of customization options.) But not all of its attributes are displaying on my new laptop, and I'm not sure how to make them.

Specifically, my window buttons should be round, but they're not, they're square. Look here in its settings; while the preview window is 'attached,' the window buttons are round, as they should be:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_QtCurve_1_attached.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	649686

But now look when it's detached--they're square, and that's how they are in actual use:

Name:	tmp_QtCurve_1_detached.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	649687

I remember from years gone by that getting the exact look I wanted took some tweaking, some experimenting with various combinations of Global Themes, Plasma Styles, Application Styles, etc. But I'm stuck now because it looks right in its preview, so...I don't know! Anyone?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

The window decoration settings in qtcurve only affect qtcurve's own kwin theme which was never ported to kwin5/qt5, and therefore those settings don't work (even if they show in the embedded preview). From the screenshots it seems you're using "Plastik" as your window decoration.
    Last edited by kubicle; Nov 27, 2020, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Oh, well shoot.

Okay, thanks @kubicle. And yes, you're right, I am using Plastik.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        The window decoration settings in qtcurve only affect qtcurve's own kwin theme which was never ported to kwin5/qt5, and therefore those settings don't work (even if they show in the embedded preview).
        Can you clarify something for me? Because I'm confused. What are these KWin items in Synaptic and System Settings?

Name:	tmp_KWin_2_Synaptic.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	644957

Name:	tmp_KWin_1_system_settings.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	644958

How do they apply, or do they?, to QtCurve and its attributes not displaying correctly? Is there some way to make use of them to get the effects I want?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I'm just not up on this stuff any more.

Comment

Back in the kde4/qt4 days, one could install kwin-style-qtcurve package which had the qtcurve decoration you could choose to use in system settings (and configure within qtcurve)...but like I said, it's not ported to qt5 and not available in the repos anymore.

The kwin scripts are plugins that add extra functionality to the window manager, but do not affect the decorations.

I'd suggest trying to find a decoration you like on the kde-store (there are not that many that work with kde5 yet), or you could use aurorae (sort of a theming engine kwin-theme) which has a bit more styles/skins available (and if you know your way around graphic editing, you could skin yourself to your liking, it's easier if you modify an existing theme/skin...this is what I ended up doing because I could not find a kwin-theme I liked in kde5)

Aurorae skins:
          https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/114/ord/rating/

Comment

Ah! Okay, that makes sense. Thanks, @kubicle.

I have my 'look' pretty much the way I want it right now--except for the round window buttons! I've browsed through zillions of designs, but all I'm looking for is a way to make my window buttons circular, without changing all my highly-customized QtCurve settings. This is obviously very nitpicky, so I'll probably drop it and just live with square buttons!

Comment

Working...
            X