X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File permissions in 20.04

Hello Everyone,

I have been using Kubuntu 18.04 happily for more than a year, I installed it on my desktop and laptop machines.
    I updated the laptop to 20.04 to see the differences and get a better feel for it.

I wanted to add an "old" wallpaper folder from 18.04 to the 20.04 system.
    I could manipulate the system folders in root in 18.04 as a regular user with Dolphin, I could not copy that folder into the appropriate folder with Dolphin in 20.04, I do not have the permission.

Has any settings been changed? How to change it back simply?
    I would like to keep using Dolphin as before.

EDIT:
    Interestingly, the "advanced permissions" for the "/usr/share/wallpapers" folders look exactly the same in both systems!
    What gives?
    (I used a USB stick to move the folder)

Thanks, Peter
    Last edited by orbanp; Sep 22, 2020, 07:17 AM.

The /usr/share/wallpapers should not be writable by a normal user in 18.04 or 20.04 (or any Linux for that matter) without Sudo privileges, unless the directory has had its permissions changed, or the user has enabled and is logged in as the disabled 'root' account. Or opened Dolphin with sudo privileges (don't think this is possible in 18.04's version of it as Dolphin's develipers explicitly disabled it from being able to do so, so your 18.04 experience was exactly the opposite of what everyone else is experiencing

So, the 20.04's response is the same, expected result for 18.04, without some addon, modification, etc.

Users can store their wallpapers in their local /home/username//.local/share/wallpapers/ . Note this is a hidden dir.
    The /usr/share/wallpapers is useful only if you have multiple user accounts and want to have them usable by all of them
    Last edited by claydoh; Sep 22, 2020, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Hi claydoh,

Thanks for the explanation!
      You are correct, I can not put a folder into that place on 18.04 either.
      It must have been some system files that was able to manipulate and so I made the generalization!

Thanks, Peter

Comment

Working...
      X