X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ENCRYPTION] Disk Partitioning and Encryption

Hello,

I have installed the latest version of Kubuntu (20.04 LTS) on my laptop which has 30 GB SSD drive. I chose guided partitioning with encryption and everything went fine. When the system finished installing and rebooted, I checked the disk in GParted which reports that there are EFI and BIOS boot partitions both along with ext4 and swap partitions. I am providing screenshots below.

Why did the system create EFI boot partition on top of BIOS boot partition even though I have a legacy system with DOS partition table?

Did the system encrypt the whole drive (including swap)? Check the provided screenshots, please.

File manager shows 4 partitions (check the last screenshot). Why?

My main concern is if I have a fully encrypted drive or not?

Thanks.

P.S. Unable to post photos so I am providing a link of the original post in my native language (Georgian), where you can view the screenshots.

https://forum.ge/?showtopic=35164058&hl=
    Last edited by User9847; Jul 28, 2020, 03:36 PM. Reason: Correction

Originally posted by User9847 View Post
    Hello,

I have installed the latest version of Kubuntu (20.04 LTS) on my laptop which has 30 GB SSD drive. I chose guided partitioning with encryption and everything went fine. When the system finished installing and rebooted, I checked the disk in GParted which reports that there are EFI and BIOS boot partitions both along with ext4 and swap partitions. I am providing screenshots below.

Why did the system create EFI boot partition on top of BIOS boot partition even though I have a legacy system with DOS partition table?

Did the system encrypt the whole drive (including swap)? Check the provided screenshots, please.

File manager shows 4 partitions (check the last screenshot). Why?

My main concern is if I have a fully encrypted drive or not?

Thanks.

P.S. Unable to post photos so I am providing a link of the original post in my native language (Georgian), where you can view the screenshots.

https://forum.ge/?showtopic=35164058&hl=
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Joir0iMIiJLmJ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	644853
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Joir0iMIiJLmK.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	644854
    As can be seen in those two screenshots the "vgkubuntu" partition, which holds your root (/) and swap (sub-)partitions, is encrypted...
    I never used encryption yet so i can't comment on the rest...
    Well thats all for now, 3M

Comment

The /boot partition is not a "BIOS" boot partition, since your disk is partitioned with a legacy (msdos) partition table. The /boot partition is used because in an lvm install the kernels reside out side the lvm containers, so a separate boot partition is created. This is choice made by ubuntu but not strictly necessary.

The fat32 being created is a bug. It is not needed:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...t32-partitions

Comment

Working...
      X