This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update from 18.04lts to 20.04lts freezes during boot

I was able to do an update from beaver to focal on Virtualbox but am unable to do the same on my main system. I have tried twice and restored to original (18.04)
    System:
    MSI X299 Tomahawk
    Intel i7-7800X 6 core
    Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB​

Unfortunately that output is not showing anything failing, so it will be hard to tell without more information.

Have you tried selecting a different kernel in Grub, or used any of the recovery options at all?

Any relevant hardware specs? Nvidia anything?

How does a live USB of 20.04 fare?

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpa54 View Post
      I was able to do an update from beaver to focal on Virtualbox but am unable to do the same on my main system.
      What you haven’t told us is when you upgraded on your VM and when you attempted to do so on your main system. If you did the VM upgrade prior to 18.04s EOL date, the upgrade would process. If you attempted the upgrade on your main system after 18.04s EOL date, the upgrade would not be able to process if you attempted a normal release upgrade.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades
      Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 23, 2022, 03:56 PM.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        If you attempted the upgrade on your main system after 18.04s EOL date, the upgrade would not be able to process if you attempted a normal release upgrade.
        No, while the Kubuntu bits are EOL in terms of physical support and updates provided by the Kubuntu devs, since Ubuntu proper, and all its software and repos stick around for Ubuntu's full 5-year LTS lifespan, Kubuntu and other Flavours can most definitely upgrade past their 3-year support lifespan. They wouldn't even have to use the EOL Upgrades 'workaround', that I almost posted in my reply.

Yes, Ubuntu infrastructure is confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          I just can’t wrap my head around this. You said previously that Kubuntu doesn’t follow Ubuntu’s 5-year support schedule for LTS releases; that for Kubuntu LTS releases, it’s 3-years from the release date. Kubuntu 18.04 LTS is EOL.

Comment

Unfortunately that output is not showing anything failing, so it will be hard to tell without more information.

Have you tried selecting a different kernel in Grub, or used any of the recovery options at all?

The image was to display where it is freezing.
            I used sudo do-release-upgrade =m desktop and have no idea about getting into grub/recovery options

MSI X299 Tomahawk
            Intel i7-7800X 6 core
            System:
            MSI X299 Tomahawk
            Intel i7-7800X 6 core

Comment

What you haven’t told us is when you upgraded on your VM and when you attempted to do so on your main system. If you did the VM upgrade prior to 18.04s EOL date, the upgrade would process. If you attempted the upgrade on your main system after 18.04s EOL date, the upgrade would not be able to process if you attempted a normal release upgrade.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades
              Did both within the last 2 weeks
              System:
              MSI X299 Tomahawk
              Intel i7-7800X 6 core

Comment

I just can’t wrap my head around this. You said previously that Kubuntu doesn’t follow Ubuntu’s 5-year support schedule for LTS releases; that for Kubuntu LTS releases, it’s 3-years from the release date. Kubuntu 18.04 LTS is EOL.
                PM sent, plus some advil, and maybe and adult beverage
                Last edited by claydoh; Sep 23, 2022, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I used sudo do-release-upgrade =m desktop and have no idea about getting into grub/recovery options

Do you have a grub boot menu when powering on? If not you may need to stab the esc key or the shift key at the right spot just at the end of the bios splash screen
                  From there you can select different kernels and recovery.
                  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode

Comment

Comment

Do you have a grub boot menu when powering on? If not you may need to stab the esc key or the shift key at the right spot just at the end of the bios splash screen
                      From there you can select different kernels and recovery.
                      https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode
                      I rum verbose during the boot up but, unfortunately, I have a monitor that takes a while to figure out its selection between analog, digital or HDMI. I'm running Linux solo so no grub menu.
                      System:
                      MSI X299 Tomahawk
                      Intel i7-7800X 6 core

Comment

No, while the Kubuntu bits are EOL in terms of physical support and updates provided by the Kubuntu devs, since Ubuntu proper, and all its software and repos stick around for Ubuntu's full 5-year LTS lifespan, Kubuntu and other Flavours can most definitely upgrade past their 3-year support lifespan. They wouldn't even have to use the EOL Upgrades 'workaround', that I almost posted in my reply.

When I first loaded Kubuntu (Bionic) I was under the impression that I was good until 2023, now I find out I have to upgrade through 2 releases to get current. Pain
                        System:
                        MSI X299 Tomahawk
                        Intel i7-7800X 6 core

Comment

When I first loaded Kubuntu (Bionic) I was under the impression that I was good until 2023
                          And that's unfortunate, as you, just like me, find it 'less than crystal clear' as to when official support vs flavor support ends.

The upgrade path you took is the correct one (second link below).

(https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-18-...buntu-support/)

As the recently released Kubuntu 21.04 with beautiful Plasma 5.21 makes its way into the world, inevitably other things come to their end.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS was released in April 2018, and reached ‘End of Life’ for its 3 years of flavour support on 1st May 2021. All Kubuntu users should therefore switch to a newer supported release.

Download a supported release or upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 LTS.​

Comment

When I first loaded Kubuntu (Bionic) I was under the impression that I was good until 2023, now I find out I have to upgrade through 2 releases to get current. Pain
                            Even normal Ubuntu LTS upgrades would only go to the next LTS release, so two upgrades would still be needed to get to current there as well, there never has been any skipping there.

The current Kubuntu LTS (20.04) is supported until 2023. Kubuntu Bionic was only ever supported until 2021.

However, to muddy things a bit, the actual Ubuntu OS under the KDE desktop GUI is still going to see security fixes and some updates (browser updates for example) for the full 5 years, so it is not a complete death, so to speak. Just no support or security patches for KDE desktop related items.
                            The actual OS parts still have security support.

Comment

I rum verbose during the boot up but, unfortunately, I have a monitor that takes a while to figure out its selection between analog, digital or HDMI. I'm running Linux solo so no grub menu.
                              You still have grub, its just hidden. Just hit <esc> repeatedly during boot.

Comment

Working...
                              X