This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Linux 5.11.0-43 refuses to boot, 5.11.0-40 boots just fine

Now this is on a laptop I haven't used in probably close to 6 months and as far as I remember it was booting just fine then.

When I select -43 (the default) it hangs on a black screen forever (I let it sit for over and hour)

I've used -40 recovery mode to try and fix broken packages (fails to fetch) and check all file systems which also fails:

/lib/recovery-mode/recovery-menu: line 80: /etc/default/rcS: No such file of directory
    fsck from util-linux 2.34
    /dev/nvme1n1p6 is mounted.
    e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

I'm afraid that's the breath of my troubleshooting knowledge and don't know where to go from here.

Cheers! Thank you all in advance
    Please excuse my poor English, English is my first language.

Have you tried booting from a LiveDVD/CD/USB image? That could help you figure out if some hardware has failed such as the driver or controller or such.

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
      Have you tried booting from a LiveDVD/CD/USB image? That could help you figure out if some hardware has failed such as the driver or controller or such.
      I have not. I'm traveling and unfortunately don't have a usb handy.

I'm not thinking it's a driver or hardware failing as it works perfectly fine using the older kernel... It's just annoying when I fire it up and it tries to boot the one that refuses to work!

Comment

Boot to the previous kernel, and then update -- 20.04 is at the 5.13 kernel now.
        Don't run autoremove until you have checked that it works, so you still keep a known good kernel
        Since the kernel was working months ago, and hasn't been booted, it is still worth checking for hardware issues, since nothing has changed since that last time it used the -43.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Boot to the previous kernel, and then update -- 20.04 is at the 5.13 kernel now.
          Don't run autoremove until you have checked that it works, so you still keep a known good kernel
          Since the kernel was working months ago, and hasn't been booted, it is still worth checking for hardware issues, since nothing has changed since that last time it used the -43.
          Started an update through the terminal a while ago but it's almost a gig on crappy hotel wifi

Will report back

Comment

I gotcha. So I would do exactly what Claydoh suggested as my next step. Good Luck!

Comment

Booting 5.13.0-41 is the same deal I'm afraid...

Code:
              Loading Linux 5.13.0-41-generic
              Loading initial ramdisk ...
              I have it sitting there now. The fans will spin up occasionally but it goes no further.

Comment

5.11.0-40 continues to boot normally and system works as expected after logging in?

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
                  5.11.0-40 continues to boot normally and system works as expected after logging in?
                  Yep, I haven't noticed a single hiccup.

Comment

I used muon to remove the kernel versions that refuse to work, which is fine for now... But I'd really like to figure out what's going on here! (Because I learn)

Should I check my RAM?

Comment

Originally posted by Salamander View Post
                      I used muon to remove the kernel versions that refuse to work, which is fine for now... But I'd really like to figure out what's going on here! (Because I learn)

Should I check my RAM?
                      You would need too look at your logs (KSystemLog is good for this) and search for things like 'error' and '[E]' and as a starting point.

Comment

Huh .. well... Everyone was working just fine yesterday but now it's refusing to boot the same way with -40

This is endlessly confusing maybe I should just reinstall

Comment

I am starting to suspect you are having a hardware issue, which is why i recommended booting to a live DVD/USB install disk. Select try instead of install. If everything boots fine, then memory is probably fine. I am thinking there is a possibility that the drive is failing. If everything boots fine, you could try reinstalling and if it hangs, doesn't install while copying the filesystem to the drive, it may point to a failing ssd or controller. If I remember right, you are traveling and booting to live image may not be possible right now, but I would try that when you are able to.

Comment

Working...
                          X