This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded to 20.04, now Samba is not working anymore + slow boot time

I receive the following message when i try to access other users or my own folder in networking:
    The file or folder smb://pcname.local/ does not exist.
    We are all on 20.04 now, default 5.4 kernel.

upgrade was done through command line from 18.04 LTS with HWE kernel:
    sudo do-release-upgrade --allow-third-party

i left the old config files selecting N when asked for replacement with new versions.

i am using google drive as temp replacement to share some files that need printing over network.

---

so far also very slow boot. could be due to added snapd (chromium).

Startup finished in 4.613s (kernel) + 1min 1.417s (userspace) = 1min 6.031s
    graphical.target reached after 1min 270ms in userspace
    HDD, Ryzen 5 3600, 32 GB ram.

Same disk on 18.04 with single core Athlon 64 3200+ with 4GB ram took about 40-50 seconds to boot. same disk with this new CPU&ram took about 20 seconds to do a cold boot.

otherwise i haven't notice any major issues in the system.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 19, 2022, 08:03 AM.

Actually that is a function with how SAMBA works, I would remove the ".local". Even my Windows systems do not use that as my Home router doesn't even know what that is.

Also, I've never been able to find how to prevent SAMBA from appending that .local to the paths. So I always have to manually remove.

Comment

Originally posted by mastablasta View Post
      so far also very slow boot. could be due to added snapd (chromium).
      Snapd, while the bane of many, probably is not adding that much time to the login. But of course will be adding something to it
      systemd-analyze blame and systemd-analyze critical-chain will show the what and where slowdowns may be happening.

Also I think that somewhere between 18.04 and 20.04, the Samba project disabled support for the old insecure v1 protocols as a default setting, so this may need to be explicitly enabled in your samba config if the remote share is using that.
      https://askubuntu.com/questions/1229...ading-to-20-04

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        Actually that is a function with how SAMBA works, I would remove the ".local". Even my Windows systems do not use that as my Home router doesn't even know what that is.

Also, I've never been able to find how to prevent SAMBA from appending that .local to the paths. So I always have to manually remove.
        remove from where? samba config file? i never added it. Yes i think it could be appending the .local to paths

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Snapd, while the bane of many, probably is not adding that much time to the login. But of course will be adding something to it
          systemd-analyze blame and systemd-analyze critical-chain will show the what and where slowdowns may be happening.

Also I think that somewhere between 18.04 and 20.04, the Samba project disabled support for the old insecure v1 protocols as a default setting, so this may need to be explicitly enabled in your samba config if the remote share is using that.
          https://askubuntu.com/questions/1229...ading-to-20-04
          oh i forgot about the blame command. i will try that.

i saw a file system (encrypted?!) was disabled during update. but i really don't remember samba, though it did want to install new config.
          all 3 PC were updated in same way, so i was assuming they would all use previous settings. it even shows the folder is shared, i just can't get to it in dolphin. should i uninstall samba, clear configs and reinstall?

i am only sharing public folder and a few subfolders with a couple of files. occasionally i can print directly (printer is connected via USB to one of the machines), but sometimes this doesn't work so i was just using samba to transfer the files from one PC to another. i could maybe install sFTP but that is a bit of an overkill just to occasionally share homework files for printing

Comment

40.470s man-db.service
            27.265s snapd.service
            27.082s mpd.service
            15.821s dev-sda1.device
            14.218s udisks2.service
            13.961s logrotate.service
            12.217s ModemManager.service
            12.059s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
            11.366s systemd-journal-flush.service
            man-db and snap take the longest it seems.

then it looks like samba has an issue as well, so these two things might actually be related?

graphical.target @54.058s
            └─multi-user.target @54.057s
            └─smbd.service @47.301s +6.756s
            └─nmbd.service @38.497s +8.802s
            └─network-online.target @38.281s
            └─NetworkManager-wait-online.service @26.221s +12.059s
            └─NetworkManager.service @18.796s +7.424s
            └─dbus.service @18.792s
            └─basic.target @18.736s
            └─sockets.target @18.736s
            └─snapd.socket @18.736s +437us
            └─sysinit.target @18.663s
            └─swap.target @18.663s
            └─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-ef6be665\x2dd1b9\x2d4c44\x2d92b7\x2d388f43f18f58.s wap @18.606s +56ms
            └─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-ef6be665\x2dd1b9\x2d4c44\x2d92b7\x2d388f43f18f58.d evice @18.606s

Last edited by mastablasta; Feb 28, 2022, 02:33 PM.

Comment

[mild rant]Does NO ONE read the Notice at the top of this Forum?[/mild rant]

mastablasta Look at the output at the beginning of your post #6 that you enclosed with CODE tags. See the formatting codes? Using the QUOTE tag for this content prevents this from happening.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

changed to quote. prevents what from happening? it was direct copy from Konsole. i thought it was plain text anyway. the quote had colours and if i used code display was messed up no matter how i posted it, so i used quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  [mild rant]Does NO ONE read the Notice at the top of this Forum?[/mild rant]
                  As mastablasta points out, these colour tags are a result of copy pasting from a konsole. It happens without one seeing the tags. IME this can happen even if the konsole text is not coloured, but not usually. Perhaps the Notice should ask users to check by clicking the “source” button near the top left, or to use the “Remove Format” button on any text pasted from a konsole or GUI app.
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 01, 2022, 11:16 AM.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

jlittle Thank you. I do appreciate the feedback.

What I don't get however, is why, after posting, the OP doesn't observe the results. It's very plain to see, to anyone (I believe). The basic rule is this: IF the content you are copying has colored tex, bolded text, underlined text, different font sizes, etc., don't use the CODE tag to enclose it in a post.

I'm not trying to be an ogre here. I'm not trying to be heavy handed. I am just trying to be helpful and to educate.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

man-db and snap take the longest it seems.

then it looks like samba has an issue as well, so these two things might actually be related?
                      Is your HD a spinner? Your times look like what I used to get when I was booting from a spinning disk drive.
                      Having moved to SSD's my boot times are now:
                      2.710s man-db.service
                      1.333s apt-daily-upgrade.service
                      1.019s alsa-restore.service
                      749ms networkd-dispatcher.service
                      532ms libvirtd.service
                      508ms dev-sda3.device
                      217ms logrotate.service
                      207ms systemd-logind.service
                      203ms systemd-journal-flush.service
                      185ms accounts-daemon.service
                      163ms udisks2.service
                      152ms systemd-modules-load.service
                      124ms NetworkManager.service
                      119ms apparmor.service
                      112ms smartmontools.service
                      102ms polkit.service
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

it is a spinner, however it is the same spinner i used before. i had a single Core AMD CPU (18 years old) and with Kubuntu 18.04 it needed 40-50 seconds to boot. then i replaced the CPU, ram and motherboard but the rest of components (including the HDD) stayed the same (later i added new GPU as well). i upgraded the kernel to 5.4 (the HWE kernel in 18.04) and the boot time was between 30 and 40 seconds.

now i upgraded just the OS to 20.04 (same kernel 5.4) and i get this long boot time and samba is not working. it could be that snap did this (though i have used Chromium before). in any case something seems to be a bit off. particularly when i wait for desktop itself to load (i have auto login) before i can actually start using it. it was a lot faster when i was on 18.04.

yeah, i know new disks are a lot faster. i planned to use one for the OS, even bought one but then decided to keep the OS on HD and just do the upgrades and use SSD for certain games.

my kid has nvme and 20.04 on it, so i saw how fast it is to boot or reboot.

Comment

NetworkManager-wait-online.service @26.221s +12.059
                          It is worth investigating this, since it can more or less make *everything* related to networking slow, as they all have to wait for this to finish before starting/running..

sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

sudo systemctl mask NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Comment

ok. that is worth a try. though reading more about this, it could also be a symptom not the cause of the delay itself. since i don't have any network drives mounted it could be worth a try. i do have iso images mounted on occasion. though not right now.
                            i usually boot once or maybe twice a day and then turn it off for the night. so while annoying it is not the biggest issue here.

what about my samba issue? i can't connect to even move the files in network. should i remove the old config (left in place during upgrade) and replace it with default for 20.04? remove and reinstall? i just share the public folder with a couple of files in it.

Comment

For Samba, try enabling the old V1 protocol, which that project disabled, unless explicitly enabled in the config. Add these lines to the Global section:
                              Code:
                              client min protocol = NT1
                              server min protocol = NT1
                              And restart the smbd and nmbd services, or reboot.

As for the wait-online-service, this is in most cases just a dead timer, and in the majority of situations, it does help users. I seem to have to block that on wired PCs, but seems to not to be needed so much on my recent laptops, unless I want to shave that last bit of boot time down to the nub

Comment

Working...
                              X